Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rewiring pickups questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlacksHole, Jun 16, 2003.

1. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have a Bass Collection fretted 5 string that gets to much hum and buzz, particularly if I turn up the treble as one would expect. This bass is active and I believe that it is an active preamp with regular p.u.s - is there a way I can tell easily (I bought it used)?

What I was thinking of trying is to take the 2 p.u.s (P & J) and wire them directly to an input jack. This should give me no volume, tone or blend control - would I be correct in assuming that the blend would be approximately 50% give or take a few percentage points based on the output of each p.u.?

Would I basically have the bass and treble on full without using tone cotrols?

Using such a setup, I should get a lot less hum and buzz, shouldn't I?

Also, I would presume that the output would be considerably lower since the preamp would be disengaged - correct?

To do this I was thinking about adding a switch that would enable me to either go straight to the p.u.s or to use the preamp and my guess is that even with the switch and the preamp there, that I'd get virtually no hum or buzz when I'm in straight wire mode.