1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rewiring Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Apr 19, 2002.

1. I just got an older bass, with P pick ups. Someone must have spilled beer on it or something, because when I pulled off the pickguard to check out the wiring, it was all corroded, and the solder points were crumbling to bits. :eek:

I clipped off the old wires from the jack, pots, and pups, to replace it with new wires. As I was crimping the new wire to the hot wire on the pups, the old wire simply fell off the pick up. The exact same thing happened on the ground wire.

I figured it was no big deal, and soldered new wires all around. After this, I put it all back together, but now I get nothing out of the pick ups. I can only assume it is the wiring, because the pups worked just fine before the wires broke. It isn't the pots, because I bypassed them completely.

Any suggestions about what went wrong? I hope the pick ups aren't bad, because these had some monstrous tone. Would a tech rewire the pick ups for me? And if so, roughly what would they charge?

2. if the wires on the outside were rusted.. i wonder what the wires on the inside are..

3. Well, the pole pieces are rusted over. That's why I was highly surprised at the output and tone. I would like to keep the pickups, but will replace them if I have to.