Rewiring Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Apr 19, 2002.

1. I just got an older bass, with P pick ups. Someone must have spilled beer on it or something, because when I pulled off the pickguard to check out the wiring, it was all corroded, and the solder points were crumbling to bits. :eek:

I clipped off the old wires from the jack, pots, and pups, to replace it with new wires. As I was crimping the new wire to the hot wire on the pups, the old wire simply fell off the pick up. The exact same thing happened on the ground wire.

I figured it was no big deal, and soldered new wires all around. After this, I put it all back together, but now I get nothing out of the pick ups. I can only assume it is the wiring, because the pups worked just fine before the wires broke. It isn't the pots, because I bypassed them completely.

Any suggestions about what went wrong? I hope the pick ups aren't bad, because these had some monstrous tone. Would a tech rewire the pick ups for me? And if so, roughly what would they charge?
  2. if the wires on the outside were rusted.. i wonder what the wires on the inside are..
  3. Well, the pole pieces are rusted over. That's why I was highly surprised at the output and tone. I would like to keep the pickups, but will replace them if I have to.