Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rewiring Problem (Second Volume Pot)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NoNoise, May 20, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm rewiring my Jazz with all new pots, wires, et cetera. I mimicked the exact wiring that was previously in my bass, but I'm having a problem. The second volume pot (middle of three pots) is acting weird. If it isn't all the way up, no sound at all comes out of my bass. The first volume pot and the tone seem to be working just fine. I'd appreciate any help if anyone knows why this might be happening. Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    could you take a pic?

3. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yes I can :smug:

I'll post a pic as soon as I get my digicam back today or tomorrow.

4. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Here's a pic. I'm not the neatest solderer, but I don't believe that is the problem.

[​IMG]

I'm sorry it isn't very clear. It's the best I could do. Feel free to ask me any questions.

5. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Here's a little guide to my picture.

The far left tab (out of three) on the two volume pots (furthest two pots from the jack) are bent to the bottom of the pots and connected with solder. The big black wire from the neck pickup is soldered to the bottom of the first (farthest left) volume pot, and the big black wire from the bridge pickup is soldered to the bottom of the second volume pot. The small clear wire from the neck pickup is soldered to the middle tab of the first volume pot, and the small clear wire from the bridge pickup is soldered to the middle tab of the second volume pot. A white wire connects the right tab of the first volume pot to the right tab of the second volume pot. A second white wire connects the right tab of the second volume pot to the far left tab of the tone pot. A third white wire connects the left tab of the tone pot to the jack. A small black wire connects the jack to the bootom of the tone pot. A seconnd black wire connects the bottom of the tone pot to the second volume pot, and a third wire connects the bottom fo the second volume pot to the bottom of the third volume pot. The capacitor (I believe that is what the big orange thing is) has one side soldered to the bottom of the tone pot and one side soldered to the middle tab of the tone pot. A grounding wire comes from the bridge and is soldered to the bottom of the tone pot.

6. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I don't know what's going on, because I wired my bass exactly like that picture (only one thing was different before), but I still have a problem. If the second volume is turned all the way up, no sound comes out of the bass. If the first volume is turned all the way down, the second volume does nothing. Also, even with the first volume turned up, the second volume makes no difference in sound (except when it is turned up and all sound stops). Any ideas? :confused:

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    in the middle vol pot, I can't see where the bridge pickup hot wire is soldered.
    One thing to try: unsolder the neck pickup hot (clear) wire from the first volume pot and solder the bridge pickup hot (clear) to the same lug. If you then get sound from the bridge pickup, then the problem is possibly with the middle pot. Are those new or old pots you used?

Also, do you have any cold solder joints? Cold solder joints are dull, not shiny.