Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rewiring...Tone Capacitor Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I will be installing new pickups in a Peavey Milestone, and I am going to replace the whole assembly at the same time. Is there a tone capacitor that is specifically designed for the bass? I was looking at a complete kit from Stew Mac, they have a generic harness for instruments with one tone, one volume, and an output jack that they advertise for several applications. You think that would do the job? Thanks for your help.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I looked at StewMac's web site. The wiring kits include a 0.05 uF (microfarad) capacitor. According to Carvin's parts offering, that value would be good for bass.

You can see all sorts of schematics on both Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan's web sites.

There is no "wrong" cap value...you have to choose the one that gives you the response that you're looking for.

3. 0.05mf is the standard for vintage instruments with jazz type pickups, and 0.047mf for newer ones. For a more "Jaco" like tone, try a 0.022mf.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    This particular bass is a Precision copy. Thanks for your replies.