1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reworked headstock, 4 in Line to 2x2

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chienmort, Jul 10, 2014.

1. chienmort

chienmort

Aug 15, 2012
    Looking at ways to lighten the load on a project bass and one way to counter neck dive is to got 2 x 2 instead of 4 in line in machine heads, has anyone done this and if so how did you cut the head and what glue would you advise?

The theory behind this is that a shorter neck together is a shorter lever and with the machine heads closer to the body, there will be less neck dive. I am also fitting lighter machine heads,

It ain't how low you can go but what you do when you get there!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ugh, what an ugly, destructive and minimally effective way to do it!

lightweight keys should be all you need to do.

(unless you're doing this from scratch with a blank peghead, in which case never mind. you just have to think about the string path from the key post to the nut, and whether the key button will clear to be turned. look at wal, ibanez and PRS heastocks for good designs, even music man for a good compromise with their 3+1 idea.)

3. chienmort

chienmort

Aug 15, 2012
    I agree that it is not ideal but I have degenerative wear on vertebrae 2-5 and a traditional fender neck is built to cause pain. I have tried various straps and they are uncomfortable in other ways. I have some lower weight machine heads (gotoh 707) and although not as light as Res O Lites, they are much lighter than the traditional machine heads. However physics dictates that a long lever exacerbates a the weight.

Currently unemployed and caring for a sick wife. So buying a new bass is not currently an option.

4. chienmort

chienmort

Aug 15, 2012
    In further thought, the 3+1 may well work. I will check on the feasibility and report back. Thank you for the idea.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i would try the light keys as they sit first, you might find that it's enough.

6. chienmort

chienmort

Aug 15, 2012
    Walterw and it is less work, I will try that first and see it that works. Thank you.

It ain't how low you can go but what you do when you get there!