1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reworking my pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by VTheHTyphoon, Jun 7, 2012.

1. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    So, I am doing a new pedalboard, and I generally stick to premade cables for my couplers since I am not really handy with electronics in the least. So I have most of my cables. I just need 5 more. A few 6" double right angled cables, but then I need two cables that are 3' and double right angled to go from my top level to my bottom level and then back up. I have seen the George L's stuff and it looks promising, but I generally don't have time to test every cable if one of these gets loose. Do any of you have recommendations in terms of longer premade cables that are double right angles.

Or would it be worth it to make all of that out of a fantastic cable kit?

EDIT: I notice that Lava Cable will custom make me a couple of 3 foot Mogami's with right angles for about $17 apiece. I read the megathread about Lavacable recently but this seems like the best option

2. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

Jan 10, 2012
    WA, Australia
    Go for the George L as they are really easy if you are just doing the right angled connectors as it is just a screw the shell together. Lava cable suck unfortunately and were an utter pain for myself.

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Make this the reason to get a good soldering station and make all of your cables from now on.

4. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    So, I am thankful for the replies that I got, but at this point the soldering doesn't seem like a near future option. At this point it is a toss up between the Lava Cable preassembled Mogami Cables or The George L's solderless cable kit. Price really isn't a factor here since I have factored in tax and shipping and etc., and they will be roughly the same price. They will be on my pedalboard and that's it, no real movement from the board, but I would like to hear the masses on which one would be better. Right now the only things that I really know is that: George L's have a vast range of writeups on musicians friend from 5 stars to .5 stars, they are solderless which makes me question their reliability, but on the plus side, I could wire the connectors so that they are facing in certain directions allowing me better leverage when going from a pedal with side jacks to a pedal with top jacks. Lava Cable has recently been the focus of a warranty controversy, but their cables are soldered, and, I can be more liberal with the cable lengths since I can get anywhere from 6" to 21" with right angle connectors so that I don't have to fret too much about cables being too short or running out of cable.

I am looking to get 3 cables to connect between pedals next to eachother so anywhere from 6" to 12" and I am also looking to get 2-3' cables to make the trek from the top of my board to the bottom and back up.

Thanks guys

5. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I like the DiMarzio braided cables. I looked at Lava and George L, and the kits are $89 for enough stuff to make 5 cables. That's close to $18 per cable, you have to make them yourself, and the connectors are quite huge.

6" DiMarzio cables are $13, come in sweet colors, and the connectors are tiny. Just a hair thicker than the 'flat' pancake connectors, but half as wide, making it much easier to jam pedals together. They are not the most flexible cables though, but they are tough and should last forever.

7. clsmooth

clsmooth

Aug 12, 2011
    All George L's here. Testing is pretty easy when you get the cable assembled...plug in...if you hear it...it works.

Once you screw the cap on the cables are totally solid. You could almost lift the entire board up with the cable and it is like a super glue commercial.

The George L's are nice too because they are economical space wise with how the cables and caps are angled. As you can tell by my board which is lacking in space.

They get my vote.

Attached Files:

8. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    Edited because double

9. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    Hey guys thanks again for the replies just so you know the lava cable I was looking at isn't their solderless kit I was looking at their custom cable section where you can pick the brand of Cable the length and the type of connectors and they will make it for you