Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reworking My Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bron-Y-AurStomp, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    Finally, after all of this time, I think I've gotten a solution to my amplifier woes. I've really needed a more portable setup, and have been really limited by the cumbersome behemoth that is an Ampeg 410 (fine until you have to bring it to practice in a basement.. every week). I love my Mesa 400+, which really isn't all that heavy. I thought of using an Aguilar GS112 with it, but I've been told that the 400+ would disinterate the thing. So, here's what I've been thinking:

Sell the Ampeg 410. Purchase two GS112s. Purchase smaller amp head. I'd use the 400+ and two GS112s for gigs, and use the smaller head and one GS112 for rehearsals. Does this seem feasible? What lower powered heads are you guys using for the single GS112?

I figure this setup would be pretty easy to maneuver around, and would be much more viable as a college setup, seeing as I'll be in a dorm next year. Any ideas, suggestions, comments?

2. I blew the speaker in one of my GS112s when using it solo, with my Eden WT-300 because I was pushing the head so hard that it kept clipping. Those cabs can take a lot of juice. 2 should cover most any live-playing situation, and then one should be fine for rehearsals as long as you don't have an ear-bruising practice volume.

I wouldn't have any reservations about running the 400+ into one GS112 -- you'll hear if you're pushing the speaker too hard. I run a 575W Ashdown MK500 into one or two GS112s, no problem.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you like the way they sound, the aggie 112s are really light and portable. I would probably look into getting one of the newer cabs without the horn to save $$, and one of the regular ones with the horn.