REX 2000/5 - How much better is it than the BTB405?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Mar 23, 2002.

1. OK, BTB515E's aren't being distributed here in the UK. That means, I'm either getting a 405QM(which I like) or a Spector REX 2000/5(I played the regular 2000/5 and like it about the same as the Ibanez), but I want to know which is better value. I have £650 to spend, the REX is £600 and the BTB405 is £430. But, I hear a lot of talk about value on the BTB, and I want to know whether the REX has any crippling construction flaws or whether it is overall a better deal than the 405. I must admit I found it hard to dial in a good tone with the 405 through an ashdown, and yet when I played the 2000/5 through any number of amps in another store I liked the flat sound on all of them.

So, REX 2000/5 or BTB405QM - which would YOU buy? Bear in mind that if I get the cheaper 405 I won't have any spare cash - the rents will pay whatever I need to make up the amount I need.

Thanks in advance,

P.S. Just cos I like Rex Brown, don't say I should automatically buy the REX. Although, it is sort of a fairytale if I got one...:D
  2. The Spector has a much tighter and fuller B string than the Ibanez. The Ibanez sounds pretty good until you get to the B string then "ouch"! Also, the Spector is neck through design which is more expensive process than bolt on neck desighn of the the Ibanez. The best bet is to play both basses but I'd suggest you go with the Spector. Let us know your decision!
  3. I guess that the other's way of saying that there's no competition here!:D

Just go out and try them both, then you'll bring home the Rex Spector!!!:cool:
  4. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Spector vs. Ibanez? no contest. go get that Rex :D
  5. just one thing, is the Rex 2000/5 more neck heavy than the standard body shape Spector?
  6. Well the Spector was the NS2000/5 (not the Rex). EQ is better in the BTB, pickups are about the same I thought (I wanted to upgrade them). The Spector was heavier, but maybe more solid. I think I'd look for more options personally. The string spacing was thinner with the Spector--that and the weight might be the biggest factors. Need a light bass or wider spacing--Ibanez. The other features, Spector.