1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rex Bogue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KayCee, May 8, 2006.

1. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I've just been listening to some cuts of a 1976 album that's been re-released on CD. The album is "Magical Shepherd" by Miroslav Vitous, and features him playing a double-neck Rex Bogue bass.

The album cover is a hoot, but at the time I thought that doubleneck bass/gtr was the baddest bass ever. (BTW: AFAIK, this was his only album to feature only electric playing. The album is a classic...check out "New York City").

Anyway, I know that Rex Bogue also made guitars for the likes of John McLaughlin, and that he passed away a couple of years ago.

My question is, does anyone know how many basses he made, and if any have been seen floating around the used market? Does Miroslav still own this doubleneck?

2. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Rex made one bass-that one.It didn't have truss rods,but 2 steel bars.As I understand it, it had a serious back bow problem.I only played it for a few minutes.He did make several guitars.He made the first discreet stereo circuit ,so each string could be panned l/c/r in one of my basses.His "Balz Galore" and " Balz Deluxe" on-board preamps were the first of their kind.

His inlays and wood work looked pretty cool back then.
    I took one lesson from Miroslav circa 1979 when he was living in Reseda,CA.I think he sent it back to Rex to fix but.......

3. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Thanks very much for the info, Garry. I really lucked out to have you read my post. Miroslav was one of my big influences, and I still think he's an amazing musician.

However, it sounds like the Rex Bogue bass might have become firewood long ago!:D

4. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I just happened to be in the middle of that back then.Rex was an interesting character.His guitars were very nice-nice woods ,inlays and his electronics were very revolutionary for the time.It got to a point where after waiting months to get a bass back with a new circuit,i would go to his shop and literally have to stand over him to get him to reasemble the bass so I could take it.
    I might be able to ask a friend where he thinks the bass is.He might agree with you on the firewood.It was really a failure,but,it looks pretty cool.

5. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Yes, by the sound of it, I guess you'd have to call the bass a failure, but...that doubleneck did create what I consider to be a classic funk/fusion album, which was released at exactly the same time as Jaco's first solo album. The bass sounds huge, and the gtr synth stuff is wild!

If you learn that the remains of that bass are still around, please let me know. I'll bet that thing weighs a ton!

Thanks for the info.

Andy

6. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I can't be absolutely sure he actually recorded with the bass,at least on the entire album.Rex usually used Bartolini pickups(I still have mine he installed in 1975 in the discreet stereo Hofner G500/1) and his bass preamp. I still have one or two lying around somewhere.
    I heard Rex was waiting tables before he died,and who knows where his stuff went.
    Last I remeber,Miroslav was doing the sample library with orchestral sounds.Maybe someone knows how to find him.If I find anything out,I'll PM you.

7. didn't rex also make a double neck for John McGlaughlin?

if so, he must have been the man for doublenecks for fusion stars of the seventies :)

8. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I remember seeing a guitar with inlays of stars,Saturn etc. that was made for him
    Mahavishnu Orchestra, Apocalypse.
    Rex Bogue 6/12 Double-Neck.

Mahavishnu Orchestra, Visions of the Emerald Beyond.
    Rex Bogue 6/12 Double-Neck.
    no bass necks though.

9. Bassballz

Bassballz

Feb 25, 2006
    Hi Garry,

Rex also made a bass for Alphonso Johnson. I had the privilege of photographing it and wouldn't mind sharing them with anyone interested. I only ask that they are not shared online out of respect for Alphonso's wishes.

Bassballz

10. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    That may be the only one? I guess was misinformed. Yes please post a photo! Is it fretless?
    Do you know what year? I asked Rex's main electronics guy from the day and he didn't remember,but that was 30 years ago(ouch)