Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rex Brown (Pantera) 5-string signature series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPanther, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Has anyone played or knows someone who has played the Scetcher Rex Brown 5-string? How is it?

2. I thought it was a Spector, not a Schecter.

3. Yeah that's it, stupid me couldn't remember the name of the company offhand.:D

4. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    Keep in mind there are two different versions of the Rex Brown Sig.

1. US made Neck through with Gold Hardware. It features two EMG-35DC pickups, AAAA Fig Maple body, 18v active electronics. List price $4,199.00

2. Professional Seires. (I think Korean Made). Black hardware, two EMG-HZ pickups, maple body, Neck through. List price $1,049.00

You can check out both of them at SpectorBass.com

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I owned the Korean made REX-2000/4 & it was a great playing & sounding bass. I didn't like the body shape, it was uncomfortable to play standing or sitting & it didn't balance very well (neck dived often). If you like the shape, you could definilty get used to playing it & the neck was AWESOME.

6. Sounds like the Gibson Thunderbird, too. Ironically, they have very similarly shaped bodies.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I own a Korean REX 2000/5. I have to agree with Nino on every point he raised - with the exception of the comfort! With a slight alteration to muy normal playing style I find it mostly comfortable to play - except my right wrist. I prefer the more curved standard Spector shape for wrist comfort.

However, the Korean is a well put together, fantastic sounding and fasntatsic playing bass - well worth the money!

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Personaly if i was going to spend that much $ on a spector i wouldnt get that one! Id get a usa model! Well the real rex is usa model but man look at there other usa models! I have one and its a work of art!

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses

10. Spector Rex

Spector Rex

Jun 12, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've owned the Rex/2000 5 (korean) for a little over 6 months now.

I absolutely love this bass. The tone is excellent, the neck is smooth and fast. I cannot say enough good things about it. I am saving to get the US model.....

I have read the other posts and understand their complaints regarding the playability (shape) of the bass. I do not find it to be a problem, however, I have always been a big fan of the explorer, thunderbird shape...so getting the Rex was a no brainer.

It's a great bass, escecially for the money.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Welcome to Talkbass dude - wonder where you got your user name???;)

12. Get the holoflash finish, it looks so sweet.

13. Spector Rex

Spector Rex

Jun 12, 2002
    Connecticut
    Heh! Yeah real original name :). I am looking forward to joining in the discussions.