1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rex Brown (Pantera) 5-string signature series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPanther, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Has anyone played or knows someone who has played the Scetcher Rex Brown 5-string? How is it?

2. I thought it was a Spector, not a Schecter.

3. Yeah that's it, stupid me couldn't remember the name of the company offhand.:D

4. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    Keep in mind there are two different versions of the Rex Brown Sig.

1. US made Neck through with Gold Hardware. It features two EMG-35DC pickups, AAAA Fig Maple body, 18v active electronics. List price $4,199.00

2. Professional Seires. (I think Korean Made). Black hardware, two EMG-HZ pickups, maple body, Neck through. List price $1,049.00

You can check out both of them at SpectorBass.com

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I owned the Korean made REX-2000/4 & it was a great playing & sounding bass. I didn't like the body shape, it was uncomfortable to play standing or sitting & it didn't balance very well (neck dived often). If you like the shape, you could definilty get used to playing it & the neck was AWESOME.

6. Sounds like the Gibson Thunderbird, too. Ironically, they have very similarly shaped bodies.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I own a Korean REX 2000/5. I have to agree with Nino on every point he raised - with the exception of the comfort! With a slight alteration to muy normal playing style I find it mostly comfortable to play - except my right wrist. I prefer the more curved standard Spector shape for wrist comfort.

However, the Korean is a well put together, fantastic sounding and fasntatsic playing bass - well worth the money!

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Personaly if i was going to spend that much $ on a spector i wouldnt get that one! Id get a usa model! Well the real rex is usa model but man look at there other usa models! I have one and its a work of art!

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses

10. Spector Rex

Spector Rex

Jun 12, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've owned the Rex/2000 5 (korean) for a little over 6 months now.

I absolutely love this bass. The tone is excellent, the neck is smooth and fast. I cannot say enough good things about it. I am saving to get the US model.....

I have read the other posts and understand their complaints regarding the playability (shape) of the bass. I do not find it to be a problem, however, I have always been a big fan of the explorer, thunderbird shape...so getting the Rex was a no brainer.

It's a great bass, escecially for the money.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Welcome to Talkbass dude - wonder where you got your user name???;)

12. Get the holoflash finish, it looks so sweet.

13. Spector Rex

Spector Rex

Jun 12, 2002
    Connecticut
    Heh! Yeah real original name :). I am looking forward to joining in the discussions.