Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rex brown, pantera

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by duckinacoffin, Nov 28, 2004.

1. duckinacoffin

duckinacoffin

Nov 27, 2004
    london
    does anyone know what pedals rex brown from pantera uses on reinventing the steel and far beyond driven please hel as his sound is one of the best metal bass sounds ever! :bassist:

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm pretty sure he uses an MXR Bass DI+

Graeme

3. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    far beyond driven came out way before the mxr pedal...

i think the sound you are thinking of is basically straight up SVT grind... here is his stage rig from 2000.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/420/

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No input on my part, but I must agree on his bass tone being absolutely brilliant for Pantera.

5. He's been using the SVT-4 Pro for years now and imho the tone sounds just like a grinding SVT. No pedals whatsoever I guess.

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    you need the Spector 'Rex' model bass :)

7. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    He definitely uses pedals at times... check out "Uplift" and Reinventing the Steel. Crazy wah action. Also, in the link i posted he has a chorus pedal. I can't think of any obvious times he uses it, but he may use it to thicken up his sound under Dimebag's wall 'o heaviness...

8. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Most of his sound is the classic 'grind' tone of a Spector through an Ampeg..... luffly!!! ;) :bassist:

9. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    That's exactly my setup :) Spector Euro through an SVT-5 Pro and 4x10. Talk about some wicked tone, oooooooh