1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rex Brown's 1988 Charvel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZombieBassist, Oct 3, 2009.

1. http://www.grinningelk.com/productD...circa+1988+Charvel+Bass,+Rex+Brown+Collection

really cool find I thought I'd share with you guys. The Down/pantera myspace mentioned some of his basses for sale, found his and was pretty amazed.

Like it says in the description, this was the bass he used on the first 2 pantera albums (cowboys from hell and Vulgar display of power), aswell as his main bass for live shows.

pretty sick if you ask me :)

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    They have a few of his basses.....

Damn cool axes.

3. And then some. WOW :eek:

4. Actually, wasn't it Rex Rocker back then? :p

5. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Indeed it was.

6. Very nice!!

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    NICE!
    Except I think they're dreaming for 5.5K. :eyebrow:

I mean, I'm all for pointy headstocks, and got nothing against Charvels, no no, but 5.5k? :eyebrow::eyebrow:

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Are you really sure those are their first two albums? If you google around a bit, you might be in for a surprise or two. :ninja:

9. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    First two official albums, which is whats relevent here, as this bass was used on those albums, since he got the bass as a Jackson signed artist, after their record deal, the first albums were home recorded, as unsigned artists.

10. Is it just me? Or does any one else notice that although this bass, as well as the others for sale from his collection, are older than half of the people here on T.B., and have been used extensively on tours, look like new? Not a shot out relic in the lot.
    HMMMMMM?

11. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I mainly assume its because he has forty or fifty basses, they ain't all gonna get banged up if he rotates them even a bit, then again, it could just be the pics, could be covered in hairline scratches and swirls that dont photo well.

12. True enough, but I see none appear to have been hit with a belt sander, nor is the hardware rusty, as if it was left out in the rain for 2-3 years. That being the case I would imagine one of the youngsters on here would snap this up for $5,500.00 and straighten that slight omission out toot sweet.

13. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Projects The Jungle, irrelevant? Power Metal, irrelevant? All four of them are relevant, Pantera did a lot of growing up which is documented on those albums.

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Relevant to a discussion on the bass he used for Cowboys From Hell, no, far from it in fact. The "here" part of that quote ment the current discussion.

As music, some of my fave songs are on them CDs, but thats besides the point.

15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The bass in the link appears to have a fair amount of wear on it. Far from new looking. It's not like it's all that old either. Looks pretty consistant with a poly finished bass that's seen a fair amount of use. Take a good look at the pics of that bass, and you'll see it's FAR from pristine.

No, it doesn't look like a 50 year old nitro finished bass that's had the snot played out of it, because it's not nitro finished, nor 50 years old.

16. basser-x

basser-x

Jan 22, 2009
    Douglasville, Ga.
    Bass Dept., GrinningElk Music Co.
    Hello Guys,
    I'm the "bass half" of GrinningElk Music. If those basses look halfway decent, it's because I spent hours and I literally mean hours cleaning and detailing them and their cases. I don't think they were ever wiped down the whole time Rex played them and they were pretty funky when we got them. Some are definitely cleaner than others, but all show some type of wear from the man himself! Here's a picture of me and Rex the night we went out to pick up the basses. I've got a 102- degree temp, food poisoning and a stomach virus at the same time and to top that all off, he took us to a Brazilian restaurant. Believe me, there is no greater agony in life than to be this sick and looking at a plate of garlic beef, with the waiter asking if I wanted more. I think I died that night....

DSC00223.

miner likes this.
  17. $5500 for a Charvel???:eyebrow:
    Even if it was owned by Rex........$5500

18. I am quite aware of their glam era. Its just best if those days are forgotten from pantera's career though haha;)

well seeing how this somewhat is a piece of metal history, i could see why theyd want 5k.

I mean, he did use this on Pantera's first 2 albums, as well as tours and whatnot.

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    That's what I'm saying. $5500 for a Charvel? BWHAHAHA

Funny thing is if people saw this on craigslist or ebay, they'd be flaming the owner for asking that much for it.

20. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    If you're big enough of a Pantera fan, than I think the price would be reasonable.
    Am I a big enough of a Pantera fan? No...no I'm not. :p
    I mean, they were ok, and I do own Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display; but I didn't like them well enough to drop that much cash on a bass! I'm sure somebody will, though.