1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rex Brown's Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geezer Brown, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Hey TB,

I read somewhere that during the Pantera days, Rex used humbuckers exclusively on his Spectors. Is this true, or did he record using P/J'S? Also, what model of EMG humbucker did he use? I can't really seem to get the tone with my 35DC's.

2. Try fiddling with the EQ, and, use a pick. His tone is really scooped in the mids.

3. I already use a pick. The tone is actually very well boosted in the 600-2k region.

*edit*Do you mean the EQ on the bass or amp?

4. Try both, just experiment and use your ear. He also adds a touch of grit, too.

5. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    All his Spectors were humbuckers, He used a StingRay on VDoP big humbucker. Cowboys from hell was a Charvel with P/Js I believe.

SVP preamp, 810 Cabs and a BDDI. Multiple tracks I believe. Theres a good article around here some were.

6. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Perhaps roll the neck pick ups volume down.

7. Current Rig-

1987 Charvel 3B>

>Darkglass B7K>

>Ampeg SVT CL, Bass 5 Mid 7 Treble 5 Freq 3>
    >Ampeg 8x10E

8. I'm going for the "The Great Southern Trendkill" Tone. I'm guessing Spector Euro 5, Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp, Crest 8001, Sansamp PSA, 8x10.

9. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I bumbed up a thread in the Bassist forums too. Take a look.

10. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    NS5 would have the Haz lab, Euro 5 it would depend on what year but FBD was release in what 93 ? So I think it would be pre Chez made basses GSTK was 96, Also Before Euros I think.

RITS was 2000 so could be a Euro with an EMG BT.

11. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Here's a pic of what Rex used in the later Pantera years (his signature bass, which was a variant from the NS5XL):
    http://www.muzikus.cz/save/db_images/56860

Here's a vid of his regular NS5XL from the FBD days:

12. What is the difference between an NS-5 and an NS5XL?

13. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    The NS-5 is 34" scale, and the XL is 35".

14. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I think all Spector 5 strings are 35" scale.

15. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    The NS5 is 34 inch scale. Made during the Kramer era and recently reintroduced.

16. Good to know

17. I bought a NS4 CRFM, the closest thing to an NS-2.

I still can't seem to get the tone, maybe it's because it's a BTS preamp?