Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rez guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    as you may or may not know, or as you may or may not care to know, i am in a rock band we like to call xerohour. that would make sense, as it is our name and all.

anyway, for like the first month of practices, one of the guitar player used a crappy samick tele style guitar.

but one day, he showed up with this super sweet looking guitar. it was being repaired all the while (don't know what for).

it reminded me of those basses that i admire so much: neck through with a number of laminates, front and back facings, completely custom looking, etc.

i asked him what woods and stuff were in it. the only he knew was brazilian rosewood.

i did a double take. "brazilian rosewood? that stuff is illegal to cut down now!" then i asked him how his dad came across it (it is an "heirloom piece" i reckon).

turns out that a while ago, jerry garcia came across a cache of brazilian rosewood. he had two guitars made from it. the people who built them for jerry had enough wood left over to build another guitar.

on the trussrod cover, it says "rez" on it. it's short for "resurrection guitars."

it's also a semi hollow body. the neck is 9 pieces. the other type of wood is probably mahogany. i also think the fretboard is rosewood, as well.
    the neck is super thin. very easy to play. i really like it.

he doesn't seem to be the type of kid to lie about these things. he also doesn't seem to know enough about tonewoods as to say that it is brazilian rosewood just to impress me.

now if only he got his amp fixed...

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, I've seen a couple of kids walkin' around w/ Xerohour shirts...would those guys be band people? Or did you sell shirts at your one (1) gig?

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    we didn't sell any (as far as i know), but there are some friends of band members who got 'em for free.

even though i don't know their names (mostly), i can remember what they look like. methinks there are possibly 4 who aren't in our band but still wear our shirt (which is hilarious to me. in fact, the whole fact that we have t-shirts is hilarious, as well).

three-fourths of the band goes to pslhs.
    there's matt yampolski, who is fat 'n ugly, but in a lovable way. :D

there's brett...something or other. he's endomorphic, but not conspicuously so.

then there's me. if anyone else is wearing our shirt...i mean our band's shirt...they are just fans, which is kinda funny to me.

devin, our new student council VP, is a "shirted" fan (and he is trying to be our new vocalist, and i really want him to, but i also really want him to be good, too).

there's a handicapped kid who people call "Speedy": he's a shirted fan.

there's also a short kid, and some miscellaneous dude who are shirted, as well.