Rh. hand alt.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by maxy, Aug 10, 2004.

1. maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    My question is should we try to alternate imimimim 100% of the time thoeretically speaking?

Pls answer this. Should i ignore this and do raking in slow songs but do strict ones during runs of scale and stuff...Help!! It wud save my time.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In my opinion, straight alternate picking is clumsy for a lot of basslines, namely those with a lot of string skipping.

I'm raking all the time, i only do straight alternate picking when I'm on one string.
  3. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    raking requies a bit of work, but it feels more natural to me, when i do a lot of skipping.
  4. steal-o-matic

Apr 11, 2004
    I usually don't alternate when raking or when I sustain a note, then go into something speedy, I find it easier to start speedy little things with my middle finger
  5. AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    I generally try to use i on most of the downbeats and use m for the offbeats.

...i m i m r m i r i r

I generally subdivide for the same effect for 16th note parts:

...i m i m r m i m

90% of the time that is how I try to learn things, and it ends up the most natural feeling, but there are some exceptions.
  6. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I always alternate.
    Alot of the times when I hear people rake it just sounds sloppy. Alternating gives a cleaner sound.
  7. Ha. Maybe if you SUCK! :scowl: Seriously, there's nothing wrong with raking as long as you learn to do it cleanly. Fretting hand muting is key.