Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RH nails and evenness

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Funkateer, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Although I keep my RH nails trimmed back as far as possible, and am trying to use as much flesh as I can, I can't reliably keep the nails out of the stroke, with the resultant sudden 'wolf' tone. Do I need to rotate my fingers/wrist so that I use more of the side of my fingers that the tips?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Having not seen you play I cannot comment.

So general stuff. You should be able to move your fingers so as to be able to hit the string with the bony end bit without clipping the nail or the fleshy bit. Then you can choose to use different parts of your finger tip. I vary the length of my nails as I periodically bite them (filthy habit) then quit. In a good boy phase I use the nails to get a pick like attack.

Steve Lawson (TB Pro) has very long nails and doesnt hit the strings with them unless he chooses to. I dont know how much the purple nail varnish affects his tone

3. I guess everyone's different. I keep my nails a little longer so I can dig in if I want to.

4. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Interesting about Steve Lawson. I wonder what he does at the wrist, or how he maintains his nails, or how he angles his fingers back toward the bridge to allow him both a flesh and a nail tone.

5. I used to keep my nails a little longer for fingerstyle guitar. In order to keep the nail out of my sound (just not my thing on bass) I angled my hand a little and plucked the string with the side of the finger instead of symettrically.

I'd say just trim your nails further. If necessary, use a file.