1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rhapsody 8

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Jan 2, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    That Rhapsody 8 string is great. Nice construction, parts, and finish. unique sound. I'm pretty picky about basses and have owned my fair share, and I'm very satisfied.
    I bought mine used for $300. It's a keeper.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Which color do you have? The natural or trans balck. I have the natural one. I like mine alot too & I can't wait to bring her to band rehearsal!!!!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

How does the sound of an 8 compare to a 12? I would love to have the sound of a 12 for a couple of our heavier songs, but the Rhapsody is so nice and so low priced, I would buy it if it comes close to the sound of a 12.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't like the way the 12 string is tuned. It's tuned Eee Aaa Ddd Gdd. IMO, when you play it, it sounds like the 8 string only a little harder to play/get used to. If it had a different tuning like Ebe Aea Dad Gdg, tuned like a "open power chord" or another similar tuning that I can't think of/don't know about.:p I think that would fill the sound of EVERY band. Hey, you wouldn't even need a guitarist.:D

5. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    I would have to agree with Nino-Brown. On the one 12'er I've played (Hamer), those double octave strings were kind of tricky to play. Even the 8 takes a little different approach to picking, but I think between the two, the 8 will let you realize that type of sound. Add a tweak of distortion and it gets really heavy.

Don't get me wrong, the 12 is a monster tone wise, and extremely cool, but not using the multi-string all the time, the 8 seems to fit the bill. Just my 8 cents worth.

Congrats on the Rhapsody RS!

Kubla Khan

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I love my transparent black Rhapsody 8. Its real purdy (you can really see the figured bubinga under the black finish, which looks like cool glossy swirly brown). I think the transparent black ones are not quite as common as the natrual bubinga ones.
    It has a great sound, but sometimes it can be just a little too much (It really dominates my band's sound when i play it). I use mine on only 2 of our songs for now (used to be 3 songs, but I tried the third song with my L2000 and it stayed there instead of the 8 string). I think the Rhapsody 8 strings are a great deal for the money (you can find new ones for about $430 on ebay). Plus I really like the curly upper horn :cool:

-KB

7. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Awesome bass... I'm picking one up as soon as I get the money (or find a good deal on Ebay). Good string spacing too; I can actually play slap style on it. And I've got some big hands...