rhapsody 8

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Jan 2, 2002.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    That Rhapsody 8 string is great. Nice construction, parts, and finish. unique sound. I'm pretty picky about basses and have owned my fair share, and I'm very satisfied.
    I bought mine used for $300. It's a keeper.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Which color do you have? The natural or trans balck. I have the natural one. I like mine alot too & I can't wait to bring her to band rehearsal!!!!
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How does the sound of an 8 compare to a 12? I would love to have the sound of a 12 for a couple of our heavier songs, but the Rhapsody is so nice and so low priced, I would buy it if it comes close to the sound of a 12.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't like the way the 12 string is tuned. It's tuned Eee Aaa Ddd Gdd. IMO, when you play it, it sounds like the 8 string only a little harder to play/get used to. If it had a different tuning like Ebe Aea Dad Gdg, tuned like a "open power chord" or another similar tuning that I can't think of/don't know about.:p I think that would fill the sound of EVERY band. Hey, you wouldn't even need a guitarist.:D
  5. Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

Jan 29, 2001
    I would have to agree with Nino-Brown. On the one 12'er I've played (Hamer), those double octave strings were kind of tricky to play. Even the 8 takes a little different approach to picking, but I think between the two, the 8 will let you realize that type of sound. Add a tweak of distortion and it gets really heavy.

Don't get me wrong, the 12 is a monster tone wise, and extremely cool, but not using the multi-string all the time, the 8 seems to fit the bill. Just my 8 cents worth.

Congrats on the Rhapsody RS!

Kubla Khan
  6. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I love my transparent black Rhapsody 8. Its real purdy (you can really see the figured bubinga under the black finish, which looks like cool glossy swirly brown). I think the transparent black ones are not quite as common as the natrual bubinga ones.
    It has a great sound, but sometimes it can be just a little too much (It really dominates my band's sound when i play it). I use mine on only 2 of our songs for now (used to be 3 songs, but I tried the third song with my L2000 and it stayed there instead of the 8 string). I think the Rhapsody 8 strings are a great deal for the money (you can find new ones for about $430 on ebay). Plus I really like the curly upper horn :cool:

7. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Awesome bass... I'm picking one up as soon as I get the money (or find a good deal on Ebay). Good string spacing too; I can actually play slap style on it. And I've got some big hands...