Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rhapsody and Comcast HSI

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Mar 29, 2005.

1. I got an email from Comcast saying that Rhapsody music is now free as part of their (Comcast's) high-speed Internet package. Great, free radio, I'll try it....So I downloaded it, but it wouldn't run--kept getting various error messages...Eventually, after reading the Rhapsody FAQ site, it looks like that if I want to run Rhapsody, I'll have to a) turn off my firewall, b) turn off my popup blocker, and c) enable cookies from third-part sites. :eek:

Yuck. Let's disable all my security settings.....I think not. The next step was to uninstall Rhapsody, I don't need their free music that bad, thank you kindly. :D

Anybody else tried Rhapsody?

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Hmm, I only get a link for a 2 week trial so it isn't totally free for me.

3. For Comcast people: sign up as if you're going to pay to subscribe, then enter your Comcast email address (plus a password of your choosing) . It'll take you through the subscription process, but then it'll show a balance due of $0.00 and you can download their program.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Yep! Well, my wife did. I got home and my wife was showing me this great free service from Comcast. It seemed alright.

I did some checking, and found all my security settings off. She didn't know any better, and followed the instructions from that oh-so-friendly FAQ. I promptly deleted that stupid program just like you did. I bought my wife a small boombox and set it on the desk next to the computer. She now has a radio to listen to. :)

-Mike

5. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You could always download iTunes an listen to the radio stations transmitted through iTunes. Don't have to sign up for anything (no iTMS account required) and no shutting down of security is required.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Or....I could just keep listening to the radio like I always have the last 20 years of my life. Push the on button, and turn the dial to my favorite station. Yeah, it has commercials, I can deal with that.

Why do I feel like Bruce Linfield right now??? :)

-Mike

7. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Or, if you have Comcast digital cable you can tune into one of their DMX stations and listen to CD quality commercial free music 24 hours a day.

I mentioned the iTunes interface because the original poster was talking about internet radio options. iTunes has 'stations' for just about every genre of music, plus talk radio, comedy radio, etc. Not only that, but internet radio broadcasts aren't subject to FCC regulation ;) .

Of course there's alternatives, such as www.live365.com .