Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rhapsody Q5 or BB5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Mar 16, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    BTW...yes I have done a search. There is alot about the 4, 8 and 12 string but hardly anything about the 5 string. With that out of the way....

I just recently bought a Rhap BB5 online only after playing it at a local guitar store (they wanted way too much for it). It felt "right". Great action, great feeling neck with string @ bridge spacing of 18mm which is a little more than I'm used to in a 5 string but this did feel very natural and comfortable. B string was fine for a 34" scale. Body weight felt light but sturdy...a nice change of pace from my 2ton Brice Douglas 5 swamp ash (that thing is a beast...so much so I'm selling it because my shoulders and neck hurt for days after playing it very long). My question is this....anyone out there have one of these and use it in a live band setting? If so...does it cut through alright? I'm not a big fan of EMGs but the 3D preamp along with the HZs in the model I played sounded REALLY good....but I was playing at a fairly low volume and of course without my band. Any input fron anyone with one of these 5 stringers is appreciated.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't like EMGs either, but I'm very happy with the EMG-HZ branded pickups in my Dean Edge 5.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Philbiker,
    Do you know if you have the same type of preamp in the Edge as what is in the Rhapsody? (If it's different I guess it can't be too much so seeing that both are Deans.)
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Edge is passive.