Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RHCP and Crazy Town's "Butterfly"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Jan 26, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I just put my chili pepper collection on shuffle and the song "Pretty Little Ditty" (Mother's Milk) came on. When it got to that main riff, i couldn't help but remember the lyrics "come my lady, come, come, my lady". So i googled the lyrics and found the song "butterfly" by Crazy Town. I gave it a listen and the riff is exactly the same as the RHCP song. Did Crazy Town copy it? Or did they have permission? Since "butterfly" was released in 1999, the chili peppers couldn't have possibly copied them. Whats the deal?!? :confused:

2. Did Puff Daddy write "Kashmir"?? ..of course he did!

I hope he sues the *ss off that two timing Led Zeppelin band..:D

3. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    That record used a Chili Peppers sample. It's not even Crazy Town's bassist. I'm sure he's tired of addressing that question.

4. I do believe that the singer for RHCP suggested they use that song, so everything was nice and legal...

I remember when that bass player was in BP, and they showed his bassline for that song and he just plays the root notes to Flea's sampled bassline

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Didn't Kiedis produce that track? I remember myself asking the exact same question here two years ago.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The funniest thing about that song, it's a total "I wanna get in your pants/I love you baby baby girl" song... but one of the lyrics are "Girl you and me are like Sid and Nancy."

So translated, "Girl you and me are going to become addicted to heroin, we will ruin each others lives, then I'm going to kill you and then kill myself." :swoon: too romantic for me.

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just for the record, I really HATE that crazy town song. They took a serious groove that I thought was absolutely beautiful and ruined it for me. I can't listen to "Pretty Little Ditty" anymore without the same reaction that Funkslap89 has.

To hell with Crazytown. And, if it was Kiedis that told them to use it, then he can burn as well. :lol:

8. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i think it was either the chilis or alice beck or something that did it, i always thought the chili's were the ones that did it first but at a gig i got, flea and anthony says alice beck or back did it first or something

luckly for me i can still listen to it and the crazytown remix of it doesnt harm it for me, so am glad about that lol, coz i dont like them one bit

9. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Matt Till continues to speak the truth.

10. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Matt Till is right.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I agree

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Indeed.

13. Come my lady Come Come my lady, be my butterfly ...sugar? Baby? I could never figure out if he was demanding that she be his butterfly or if he was asking.

In 20 Years those guys are gonna be embarrassed by that and when someone goes " Weren't you in a band or something ?" they will just say " uh...........nope, wrong guy"

14. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    he's demanding her to be his butterfly, but he's asking her if she wants sugar or babies in her coffee. :D

15. wow, that is pathetic, where is his pride? learn the song!:rollno: