RHCP "By The Way"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 12, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Any fans of this record? , you know i dont recall alot of hype or press on this record though i do remember seeing some videos off it.I personaly like the direction and the feel of this record i think their is some good musical connection on it.
  2. My prefered songs of RHCP are really before californication....
    BUT, I do like that song, only that one....Full of energy and the bass riff is great..!!
  3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    BTW is all right, but I think their older stuff is better.
  4. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I've always thought By The Way was a really cool album. 'Don't Forget Me' is a great song, and highly underated IMO.

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I think it is a GREAT album. The style of it is so....cool, i guess. They lyrics are engaging, the music is intelligent, etc. Oddly enough, the singles on it are my least favorite tracks.
  6. Interesting album, very smooth and refined feel. A lot like Californication, but even moreso. It's not a bad album but it's definitely not my favorite offering.
  7. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Are you talking about the full CD, or the song? I loved the full CD tbh... and the song has a nice mellow feel to the chorus... but has a good bit of rock / funk in the verse.

Btw.. does anyone know if the bass plays chords at the beinning (D-17 and G-19) or just single notes? I can't hear it very well, and there are so many versions of the tab out... not got the official transcription, but planning on it some time soon.
  8. yea, defintly. The live version off live at slane is really good.
  9. Ikkir

Jun 26, 2005
    Swansea, UK
    I'm pretty sure it's single notes.
  10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nope, there are 5 or 6 really good tracks on that album (up to Peppers standards) and the rest fills the album. Too much songs, not enough quality. Remember the days (even pre BSSM) when every Peppers songs was -blabaam- there, like a brick house. I often hear people say "you can't compare this record with the previous ones". My answer is you can. You can't compare the styles, but you CAN compare the quality of the songs as songs an sich. If I hear Californication (the song) I hear a brilliant track, although it's completely different from for instance "Funky Monks".
    On Californication, this line of quality is rather consistent, on By The Way it isn't.

all IMO of course ;)
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I forced myself to like the last 2 albums. If it were any other band they would be getting dusty on my CD shelf. I guess I respect that they have the guts to stay true to their artistic visions, but I'm a fan of the older stuff. BSSM is my #1, with Mother Milk a close 2nd. I'm even starting to believe that Dave Navarro did a more rocking job than Frusciante is nowadays capable of. Not too sure how I feel about that guy post drugs. I miss the Chili Peps and fantasize that it's all a big joke and they're gonna kick all our asses again with the next CD.
  12. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I duno.. I liked don't forget me and BTW.. Not too much else on it though.

Californication is awesome, especially the tracks that wern't singles, there some really funky/heavy stuff on there.

BSSM is probably my fav though, then uplift or mothers milk.

Who's seen the SNL performance of stone cold bush?

The record.
  14. I liked the song Can't Stop, and the title track is OK. Zephyr's really good too, just a little too trippy (Especially the video). I love RHCP, but Californication marked the start of a big change in their style. They're still good, but totally different. I like the old stuff. Blood,Sugar,Sex,Magick and One Hot Minute will always be 2 of my favorite CDs. Blood Sugar has some amazing music on it, truly their best IMO. Every song on it is great.
  15. BSSM is their best album. Flea just kicks back and grooves. Only slaps on one song, but that doesnt matter. Its a whole lot more mature than their earlier stuff, and its generally a creative peak. One Hot Minute on the other hand was, apart from one or two tracks, a weak album.
  16. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    i loved everything song on that album, its so chilin, a very relaxing album to listen to, i dont think its there best album but then agen i cant choose just one chili pepper album as the best, i love them all, awsome album and i hope there next album is just as good or better
  17. Andy On Bass

Andy On Bass

Sep 10, 2005
    Behind Blood Sugar Sex Magic its my second favourite Chili's album! They've definately changed a lot over the years but I really liked the direction they took on this album. Plus their live shows are as energetic and wild as ever! :)
  18. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    +1. I like BTW and BSSM equally, but for such different reasons. :D

I wonder where they will go with it on the next record.

Does anyone know how this album did with sales?