RHCP - Flea: Nice use of octaver :)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Quantized Harmonic, Dec 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. I was listening to this track (If you have to ask) a few days ago and didn't notice the octave sound until hearing it more clear in the mix. I never heard it in the whole mix version of the song, it's not going away now :)

This is the drums and bass mix:
    https://youtu.be/TG62J7nGmqc?t=4m9

'If you have to ask' original mix (the guitar solo is awesome):

2. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    Love this album .... Was 16 or 17 when it came out .... Borrowed the CD from a friend and it didn't leave my discman for a month .... (For the younger generation - Discman — Wikipédia)

I coincider this album as an important element in my bass playing education !!

3. Flea definitely has a style (crazy! :D) and as most people that like the band would know, that he really digs in and gets the aggressive sound. But ever since his early days, he has had some melodic points in his playing as influenced by Hillel and Frusciante. I quite dig the player he is and especially today, he is very, very in touch with music (taking piano lessons!). His melodic work is noticeable in Californication and easily noticeable in By the Way and onwards. Sir Psycho (BSSM) has a section though where he does some melodic phrases. In all, I really like the musician he actually is :)

4. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    Don't want to launch an arguments ... But californiacation was for me a declaration of the official death of the RHCP

5. I'm sure I read somewhere he recorded two bass parts for 'If You Have To Ask' - one with a fretted bass and the second with a fretless - to get that 'octave' effect with the fretted bass being played an octave above the drop-D fretless. Can anyone else corroborate that or am I completely mistaken? (It was a long time ago after all! :D)

Quantized Harmonic likes this.
  6. AndreasK

AndreasK

Jun 11, 2014
    Northern Norway
    Oh, man! Right back in my 1st car now! I think that tune was on repeat for about a year! Then the complete album for the next year. May be the best thing ever made!

7. Love Flea, love this album.

8. Yeah, I'm pretty sure you are correct with that information, I remember reading that somewhere too. I think people have said that in an interview he had for a magazine (some sort of bass one), he played two basses and yes, an octave above :)
    Pretty interesting though, because it sounds like D standard (at least people play it that way) while the guitar is in E standard. I thought I would still share though because it still has an 'effect' regardless and this sound can easily be emulated live with an octaver although it just may not have the warm texture of two recorded basses. Still awesome.

9. It was a great album. Still my favorite rhcp album. All their stuff is good but the last couple albums have been too pop/mainstream. I feel like they lost some of that "magic" that made them stand out in my mind. Not downing their newer stuff, I like it and listen to it.

10. chumbo73

chumbo73

Nov 8, 2012
    It's not an effect, he played an 8 string bass on the verse. You can get the multitracks and isolate the bass, you will notice that clearly.

One of the best albums ever, and also Californication where he started working a more melodic approach and he is a great musician nowadays.

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    An 8-string, or two separate takes with four strings, one pitched up an octave? Others have commented on it similarly, and that's my recollection as well.

12. He did not play it on an eight string. It was recorded with two basses, one octave above the other.

13. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Just chiming in to corroborate those saying it was two takes. I've never heard that one was fretless though.