RHCP in concert

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Aug 24, 2003.

1. I may have an opportunity to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in concert in a few months, but I'd have to travel a bit to get there. (I could visit friends at the same time, though, since it's near where I used to live). Are they worth seeing in concert at all, though? I like their recordings all right and I'm not trying to bash someone's favorite band, but I've heard a few live recordings from quite a while ago and some stuff was quite shady (especially the singing).
    So, how good are they these days at performing their music? And do they get boring and repetitious live, or can they jam all right?

2. I'm going to see them in State College, PA on September 16th. I'll let you know how they were.

For what it's worth, some place (VH1 maybe) had a list of bands that were great to see live. RHCP was in the top 5. I've seen videos of them live, and they're really energetic and into the music, so if you like their stuff, I suspect you'll really enjoy them. I'm expecting a really good show.
  3. i'm seein them in the Tweeter Center on the 10th, i'll tell you all how it went! :D
  4. anthony normally sings slightly out of key live. everything else is normally kickass. I can get past the vocals because he is so energetic.
  5. I saw them last december and wow they were awesome...if they come to australia again im going for sure...i had great fun getting smashed at the front of barrier (sp?)
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This must be the understatement of the month :D
  7. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I've seen them a few times, once way back on the Mother's Milk tour (Primus opened at the Warfield in San Francisco), This show was awesome. I've also seem them during thier Caifornication tour at Arco Arena (Sacramento) and Primus open again (if I remember right), another great show.
    I would go see them if I had the chance.
  8. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i'd go see them if i had the chance.. sure theyre my all time favorite band, but man... i have soo many bootleg live vids and recordings of them and those are my favorite to listen to... you get to hear stuff that will never be recorded, GO SEE THEM!@!
  9. Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    Yeah go see them live. Last week I saw them in Germany(Duisburg). Great sound, damn cool jams, super bass solo(nothing fancy, but rich low end :bassist: ). And Anthony sings better than ever. I have the "off the map" dvd, and since "By the way" he hugely improved in his singing.(If I am wrong only because i was jumping all the time:hyper: ).
    Maybe you can be dissapointed by the support act.
    We had the "Ataris" and "the destillers" both kind of punk espacially the second one. 80% of the crowd was unpleased, well think they only came because of "By the Way".
    This crowd did not even know "Havanna affairs" the ramones cover, what a shame.
    Well enough, go see them and feel the incredible energie :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

ps.: as an encore we got a drum solo by chad and a trumphet(spelled right?) solo by flea, kind of jazzy thing.
  10. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I saw them last Saturday at the V Festival - they were the best live act I have ever seen. I was a little apprehensive because I've seen live performances on TV that have been good, and some that have been awful (to say the least). Their performance last Saturday was GREAT! Anthony's vocals were spot-on, and Flea and John put on a great show. There was lots of jamming going on as well - I noticed a few p-funk riffs in there!

I must say that John was the band-member that made the most impression on me and my friends. Running all over the stage, amazing Eddie Hazel-style soloing etc. He is also one of the best singers I have ever heard. He did one song by himself on stage (not an RHCP song) - anybody know what this was?

If they're on a run of good performances, I would definitely see them if you have the chance.
  11. Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    He often sings "maybe" "tiny dancer" or "usally just a t-shirt" all his solo work i think.
    He is surely a damn impressive musician. I love his background singing also!
  12. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    my mates went to see them, two of them were fans the other was just a fan that liked can't stop. They played more songs from other albums than by the way. In my opinion that is better because i think by the way is just not very good really. I think they went for this new type of music to get people intrested and then to show them what they are when they go to see them live. And whatever you do just take some water with you- keep drinking mate cos you will faint in there ( your there for bout 4 hours:)
  13. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I went to the RHCP concert a coupel months ago and i have never been to a concert with so much energy. im a pretty big guy and i had trouble standing the people in the fron 30 rows just went ape sh** as soon as the opening riff started (around the world) and that continued till the end. the mix of slow to fast musik was great. and i must say fruciante really impressed me. the mars volta was the opening band. i have always been a rhcp fan but i think everyone would enjoy their concerts. i would definately suggest you go. they are one of the bands in this day and age and they have been around for ever...if you havent seen them. GO! Mike
  14. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO:bassist:

yeh i think you should go.
  15. Do it! I saw them yesterday at the Glasgow Green gig! They were awesome! Flea and Chad did the trumpet and drums thingy that Kruser mentioned above!

Vocals were actually very good, although between songs, Anthony didn't talk to the crowd - Flea did! I thought this strange for a frontman!

And I'm so glad that I sw them live - Flea used a plectrum on seveeral songs! I won't ever feel gulity again playing Parallel Universe!:)
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That happened in Sydney as well (a couple if years ago). I didn't realise just how bizzare Flea's personality is. Not that I care, not when he playes like that.

It was wierd to see him playing through Ampeg speakers though. It's not uncommon for touring acts to leave their big stuff at home and hire locally. Often the only decent bass cabs for hire are the Ampeg 8x10's.