Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RHCP; Pretty Little Ditty|Crazy Town; Butterfly-->Ripp-off?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, May 1, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, I recently bought Mothers Milk by the almighty RHCP, and it rocks (as I expected). But that's not the point here.
    On MM there is a track called Pretty Little Ditty. Its some kind of interlude, its a track, but I think it are leftovers or something...
    Anyway, in that track there a 20 seconds that are exactly the same as the song 'Butterfly' by Crazy Town, a 'metal/rap' band that had its highlight a couple of years ago.
    The thing is that Crazy Towns greatest hit seems to be stolen from a track by the RHCP. Coincidence? I think not! I just listened to both songs, the similarity is just too obvious.

If it would be a cover, fine, but Butterfly is a track completely build around those 20 secs. Ripp-Off! :mad: Did the RHCP charge them? Did anyone else notice this, it would be really weird if I'd be the first one to notice this...

2. didn't anthony kiedus write that song for crazy town?
    i think he did. or maybe he produced it? i remember he had something to do with that song

Charlie

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No No, you are confusing rip off with "sampling." They credit the song on their album.

Has anyone ever noticed that the riff for "American Bad Ass" by Kid Rock is scarily similar to "Sad But True" by Metallica.

One of those deals.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    ^actually I believe kid rock payed metallica so he could use it.

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Old news! Crazytown=poop! They were horrible at ozzfest, and are still horrible today!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Last time I checked, they were regularly booed off the stage at Ozzfest, after having paid copious amounts to even be on the tour.

7. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    RHCP Trivia: Supposedly "Pretty Little Ditty" came out of the first jam RHCP had with, then new, guitarist John Frusciante.

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I didn't like Crazytown (mainly because of their look), but I did like that song CT's lead singer did with another band -- something about "starry-eyed surprises" and "dancing all night to this DJ..."

9. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    The DJ guy was Paul Oakenfold ;)

10. They like to play 'Breadfan' by Budgie too. Actually, they use it in the their song 'Around the World'.

11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sweet! Thanks, dude.

12. Moongarm

Moongarm

Apr 10, 2004
    I'm just curious to how RHCP "ripped off" a crazy town song when mother's milk was released ten years before that crazy town album was?

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You might want to re-read the previous posts.

I dislike all of the Crazytown stuff I have heard and most of the RHCP stuff I have heard.

14. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    No... you must have misread the post...

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I was quite clear I think, anyway...thanks for clearing that up :)
    Still, I think it's sad that a bands greatest hit is sampled/covered from another band.

But, because its Crazy Town (Shizzle my dizzle wizzel, Westsiiide), no remorse :spit: :D

16. Moongarm

Moongarm

Apr 10, 2004
    Whoops sorry 'bout that. Guess thats what I get for posting when I should be asleep. My apologies.

*bonks self*