Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RHCP - What th' ... ???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've seen a lot of discussion in here about Flea and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but never really had seen them anywhere. So last night, I saw them playing on some awards show (they won one of whatever it was) and I thought they fairly sucked, altogether. Sure, Flea had lots of interesting moves, but they weren't tight, their sound was thin, and they just lacked any entertainment value at all.

So just shoot me now and put me out of my misery.

::: putting on Kevlar suit ::::

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Jeeeeeeeez, they're all about live performances. Yes, Anthony Keidis can't sing live in key to save his life, but they put on a great show. If ya want to hear great music and great bass playing, listen to their CDs, if ya wanna see a great show, go see them. They don't need the pirotechnics that Creed does (although I'm ashamed to admit I'm starting to like them). Flea has said many times that people come to see a show to SEE a show, so that's what he tries to deliver.

3. Hey Munji

I'm not sure whether you've listened to much of the chilli's before or not but their latest album just doesn't have too many kick ass bass parts. They seem to have focused on the songs rather than flash. If it was one of these songs then they don't sound that good even when played well, IMHO. Their live acts are also known to be a bit hit and miss but as Joe said "they always put on a good show". Keep Groovin, C-YA.

Ben

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well i know what you are saying...
    that was the performance at the lousy My VH1 Music Awards...they played Otherside.

That song is very Easy (I mean EASY)...so Flea isn´t quite extraordinary in that particular song... Maybe if you can get some live videos or go to some of their concerts you would change your mind.

Seeya

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If it was that brokedown ass VH1 "My Awards" show, I think I know what you're talking about, when RHCP performed that pitiful "Californication." (Song sold though. I guess some people like off key vocals and slack writing). HOWEVER, we used to have a little, (200 person max.), club in town which had the Peppers twice, right when they were about to break wide open with "Superstition" and owned shirts. All of them were BURNING! Great show and great musicianship. Never saw a bass get slapped so silly.

Why didn't they title that show,"The Creed Awards Show"? I gave up on it after I figured I'd seen more of Stapp than his kid. (For any Creed fans, that's a foo on VH1, not Creed).

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...as I've mentioned before-
    IMO, Flea's LIVE tone/sound *is* thin & very metallic sounding(in the past 5 years or so). Kinda grating, IMO. On the recordings, for the most part, he sounds fine.
    For "my" money, P-Nut's tone is happenin' BOTH recorded & LIVE.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Does this tend to make you think he got Modulus to build the "Flea Signature" bass for "durability" rather than tone?
    As people have said - he seems more interested in putting on a show and so he wants a bass live that will stand up to a lot of "wacking" and being tossed about. So he won't risk the basses he uses in the studio - like I've heard Alembics mentioned - in a live situation, but knows that as the Modulus is mostly graphite it can take the punishment!!

8. Well at least he has got a rather personal tone to his bass live... ;) (and performance too for that matter)

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    back in the mid 80's they were about the music more, i think, but now they seem more about the hype - they haven't put out anything really new in over a decade, imo. they have a few song styles that they use and reuse religiously, all the way back to mother's milk.

10. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i caught them live over the summer and thought they kicked some ass, simple enough, they were loud and entertaining and sounded pretty good

11. I think the Chili Peppers are a great band, although I haven't seen them live. I like their song writing, especially on Blood Sugar Sex Magik, which by the way is a great album. I also appreciate their earlier funkier stuff such as Freaky Styly, which was produced by the funk-MASTA himself, George Clinton. I also think they are a very talented band, but have followed some, uh, strange endeavors along the way. I've seen RHCP on TV a few times, and I would really like to go to one of their concerts, but I will admit, Anthony does sing out of tune a lot.

12. The bottom line is that the Chili's are an amazing band, You can't judge them on a performance you see at an awards ceremony where people have gone to see famouse people like madonna.
    Red square live, I reccomend you watch that because you will see how good they are, Especially flea.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I liked "Blood Sugar.." but they seem to have been going downhill since or at least "coasting". I think they must be aware that appearing live on a big awards show, they are going to be seen by a huge number of people - millions across the world - and that to put on a medicocre performance is certainly going to attract attention - maybe they just don't care anymore?

14. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    reply deleted by moderator due to innapropriate language.

Will C.:cool:

[Edited by Big Wheel on 12-08-2000 at 08:19 PM]

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    At this point, I would like to say thanks for not hurting me. I was sure I would be toasted over this, but I just didn't see the big attraction. Maybe it's not just my old fartism kicking in.

16. What the **** JWC?! Does it matter if he is gay? I hate it when people judge an artist because of something like sexual preference or behavior not involving the music. To answer your question though, he is in a serious relationship with a model, or so I've heard. And "*********" and "*****" or both, in my opinion terrible, derogatory terms for a human being.

[Edited by Big Wheel on 12-08-2000 at 08:17 PM]

17. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    reply deleted by moderator due to innapropriate language.

Will C.:cool:

[Edited by Big Wheel on 12-08-2000 at 08:16 PM]

18. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i bought a cd once and returned it before hearing it because there were homosexual pictures on the inside foldout, the album was 1977 by the band Ash, i heard the song called girl from mars and thought it was pretty cool, i still like it to this day, but i dont plan on ever buying the cd because of their flamboyant behavior.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hmmmmmm ... are we dealing with a drunken homophobe here?

20. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    no i was just extremely offended by the pictures of them, not to mention it made me feel very uncomfortable considerring i was about 13 at the time