Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RHCP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lazy, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Is it me or has John Frusciante's playing gone downhill since he left the band in '92? I thought his playing on BSSM was amazing, but now he just seems to noodle away, and his guitar solos sound amateur at best. I know he did a lot of drugs after he quit the band, but how much did he really do?:confused:

I've played guitar for years and thought John's work on BSSM and Mother's Milk was that of a genius. His whole Hendrix vibe mixed with funk makes me salivate, but sometimes I wonder what would've happened if they stuck with Dave Navarro.

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Have you heard the new album at all? Arguably his best work to date.

3. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Yeah, I've heard the new one and I didn't like it at all, same with Californication. I don't expect Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai guitar lines, but compared to BSSM, I feel he's lacking. I do like track 5 on the new one where Flea is strumming with a pick.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

I agree I think he has lost alitle edge, it seems that his lead playing has definetly gone down hill. It seems uninspired and lacks alot of the hooks that could find in the past and sorta lazy.

His rythmn is different, I dont like it as much as his earlier stuff but i can say if its not as good/bad etc, just different.

5. I think he is as good as ever, if not better. His stuff on 'Californication' and 'By The Way', plus his solo CD is his best stuff.
    Jim

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm really not that into the Chili Peppers, but after reading about what's happened outside the band, I'm not surprised his guitar playing has changed.

If you read an interview with him, or an article about what happened while he was out of the band, you'll realize he's one messed up individual. The changes he went through and is still going through are exactly the kinds of things that can evolve your musical perspective.

7. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    well i was thinking the same thing for a while but then after i thought about a few things i realized he just as good if not better. I agree hes gotten less jammy and his solos arent as crazy but they are more full of soul and feeling. But i think if you watched the DVD off the map u would see he has just as much talent as ever. But just my opinion.

8. He's still as good, but he's a different type of player. Frusciante is more mellow these days. You'll notice the changes much much more in RHCP if you listen to one of Frusciante's albums.

This is what led to my dislike of the new album. While the parts of the whole are good, they just don't match up. Frusciante has most notably changed, as has Kiedis, and lesser (IMO, guys, IMO), so has Flea. So, what works on "By The Way" (the mellow guitar groove leading into loud, bassy, goodness) falls flat on the other songs, because it makes them sound all too jerky.

I LOVE Frusciante. To Record Only Water for Ten Days will never leave my CD player. But at times like this, I do wonder if there isn't a better person for the job in RHCP.

9. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    he was a heroin junkie for about six years,he realeased one of his solo albums smile from the streets you hold(or something like that) specifically just for drug money. But he checked into rehab in 98, and is clean now. he does a lot of yoga and tries to eat healthy

10. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I sitll think his rhythm playing is top notch though! I would just rather hear him not solo at all!

11. I agree they have changed (not for the worse though) What I feel that some people do not realise is that the Peppers have been in this game for 20 years! Of course they arent going to sound like they did over a decade over. Im sure that there is only so many years that you would want to spend your life jumping around on a stage to funk rock wearing only a sock. After reading many posts about the new album on here, it seems that people want the Chilis to still be doing the same stuff they were doing on BSSM. That was a decade ago! People grow and change.

Personally, I love the newer stuff for its laid back, chill out music feel.
    Jim

12. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I agree that people need to grow. But maybe the Peppers mellowing out isn't growth! Maybe they're just tired of what they've done. I think too many people, including myself, confuse change with growth.

13. I dont think they are really tired of what they have done, as their live shows are as energetic and powerful as ever, but I do think that they want to move on and mature and want to leave behind the image of them being a half naked party band and be considered as serious musicians.
    Jim

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i read in a guitar world interview with john that he totally hates MOTHER'S MILK.

he'd play that kinda hendrixy testosterone-laden stuff not b/c that was necessarily what he wanted to do, but what he thought the band expected from him.

his playing now seems to be more honest. i like it, but they recorded like 30 songs for "by the way"....why settle on 10 that sound the same? i read from their official site a year ago that there was some ethiopian influences....ETHIOPIAN INFLUENCES for crying out loud! damn, i feel swindled!

(still like the new cd, though)