Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zweebee, Oct 13, 2000.

1. zweebee

Sep 15, 2000
    What's the best bass to get the Flea sound from?????
    A Modulus, Jazz Bass or Stingray?
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Try Mesa/BOOGIE amps instead. Thatll help more. Otherwise, get an Alembic Epic (thats what he uses in the studio), or the Modulus (his main stage bass now).
  3. Zweebee, my past "main" basses have included both a MusicMan and a Modulus Flea bass, and I sounded nothing like Flea. The sound is in your hands, dude.
  4. zweebee

Sep 15, 2000

OK, i'm practicing,...

I play for a year so i dont have SUPER gear but like you said, its in my hands
    By the way, what amp gives that sound???
    I mean, something like 150 watts
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Read my post Zweebee.

And Dave, you KNOW that pretty much goes in one ear and out the other for everyone. :D
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Angus, I do believe I know Flea's setup (on stage) pretty well.
    HEADS: Gallien Krueger 2000RB (now), 800RB (a few years ago)
    CABS: Mesa 2 x 15's and 2 x 10's

Studio, which is the sound Zweebee is most likely seeking, is accomplished with SOOOOOOO many different basses and setups that I couldn't tell ya. In my own experience, if you know how to play the song like Flea does it and you want a very close sound, for material Pre-CALIFORNICATION, go with a Ray. For CALI songs, the Modulus is dead on, but a Ray will work too. He just got the jazz, so I haven't been told about any recordings with it.

BTW, his arsenal also includes (but isn't limited to): Alembic Epic, Sigma ABG, Spector 4 str NT, and MM Stingray 5 string. Any of those could make the Flea sound when strapped to the hyperactive, minute, Austrailian bass god, formerly known as Michael Balzary, currently known as Flea.