Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RHCP's in general

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Apr 12, 2001.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I know as a bassist when you listen to The Red Hot Chili Peppers you think, "Flea rocks man". But take a minute to sit back and look at the rest of the band. The Drummer, nothing fantastic, but a decent drummer, I like him. The guitar, is getting weaker by the album. This may not bother a bassist because flea is still being as cool as ever. But if you compare old RHCP's to New, old Red Hot Chili peppers, the guitar and bass worked so well with each other, now it's all about Flea. The vocals are cool, but the lyrics... ok, occasionally, the lyrics are acceptable, even cool. Under the Bridge, Californication, good examples. But I'm going to give you a quote from a song off of their first album called "Police Helicopter" .... *ahem* "Police helicopter shot from the sky, Police helicopter landed in my eye".... dumb. The man has a pretty cool voice, but most of the lyrics are a total flop.

So in conclusion.... RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS KICK ASS!!!

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Please join us in the main auditorium today for a symposium on the technical and lyrical de-evolution of West Coast North American music. Today's speech will emphasize the instrumental structure and prowess of the individual members of the warm crimson spicy vegetable funk rockers. Special attention and note will be paid to founding members and those members relevant to our organization. This symposium will last 30 minutes with a brief Q&A afterward.

Without further adieu, welcome, FrizzleFry.

"Ahem, Yes, I have a question Mr. Fry. My name's Jazzbo, I represent the Minority Casual Listener Support Alliance (MCLSA). I have two questions. My first question pertains to your statement, 'I know as a bassist when you listen to the Red Hot Chili Peppers you think, 'Flea rocks man.'' Sir, I believe it worthy to note that I do not think that. How would you respond to such a statement?

"Um, also sir, excellent point on the 'helicopter in my eye' lyric; however, I don't understand how you arrived at your conclusion, 'RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS KICK A**,' after hearing your diatribe. And, um, I really enjoyed your book 1001 THINGS I HATE ABOUT RHCP: BUT THEY STILL KICK ASS!"

3. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Yer usin' them big fancy words, uh huck...

But yeah, I really do love Red Hot Chili Peppers, they are probably my second favorite band. They are funky as hell which is cool. But the guitar is getting weaker by the album, but that's probably because they are pulling away from the punk/funk stuff. But the lyrics in Police Helicopter always manage to crack me up. Another example is the chorus to Jonny Kick a hole in the sky... "Testify Testify Kick a hole right in the sky, slap a lion in his eye and kick a hole right in the sky" come on... it's crazy... whatever, most of my posts end up going down the ****ter anyways :)

4. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA

I like it!

But how can you not like flea man!?

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    His live tone. Or, lack thereof.

His lines get somewhat boring after a while. Pentatonic this, pentatonic that. Octave this, octave that. He's got some good stuff, but i just can't stand them live. It's no good.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not to mention his creative interpretation of the concept of "intonation" on those (thankfully) rare occasions that he picks up the ole fretless.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I never said that I don't like Flea. I never said that I do like Flea.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    but did you say that you do like gumbo?

aaaiiiiieeee!!!!

:D

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

You know, judging from the above, I think it's about time for you to get a Rea....um, a DB. Think about that last post...all the elements are there:

1) Total sarcasm
    2) Deadpan delivery
    3) Irony which occasionally even approaches "double irony"
    4) Likes to play cat-and-mouse with toyb... uh, fellow practitioners of the Bass Guitar.
    5) Between the lines condescention.
    6) Warped sense of humor.
    7) Don't seem to give a flying **** about Flea. Or Fieldy.

Need I say more? You're obviously a Double Bassist just waiting to be born. Why not go for it? Gruffpuppy just signed his "Deal with the Dark Side" this afternoon. What are you waiting for?

10. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thank God, I thought i was the only one that really didnt give a flyin F*** about Fieldy or Flea!

Mike

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You know, sometimes I read a post, and I think to myself, why is this person posting? What is the point of this? In this case, FRENCHFRY really likes the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and seems a little disappointed with the current state of the band. Not that there's anything wrong with this, but:

1) Um, thanks for sharing. And what do you want us to say........
    2) Aren't there enough posts about this band. The bass guitar does not begin and end with them.
    3) This whole Flea thing. I love to listen to great bass players, but then it's time for me to sit down and play myself. And, to tell you the truth, I don't think Flea is great. I like his energy, and his spirit, but his bass (which is very good), doesn't move me the way that Jamerson and Mingus do.

I guess my point is, it was just asking for it. I thought this was more polite than my response to the mmmmMogwai thread! :)

So, sarcasm seemed SO easy this time.

Um, JT... (putting on cajun accent): "Say now mista you knows that I be liken dat gumbo now dat duh peoples makin'. Whooo-boy! I saw dem der dat gumbo dat he be makin', I say 'I is just what I was and am be who I be' so I be fixin' for dat gumbo right 'bout hyer."

The deadpan delivery, years of practice.

Now, here's the truth of the matter. I've got $4500 in students loans hanging around. Cashing some stock options in June and October, and receiving the tail-end of my signing bonus in December. Once my loans and debt are gone................

Can you hear it. Shhh, listen. Yep, it's a DB. It's in the distance. You know what, it's calling my name. Shhh. You can hear it if you just listen.

12. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Actually to tell you the truth, I hadn't planed on anyone replying to this. I thought this would be one of my classic posts that get ignored, oh well, I was just expressing my opinion. I like RHCP because they have a cool bassist (I'm sorry if I"m the only talkbasser who likes flea) and they aren't Jazz. I've noticed all the big bassers around here are Jazz. I can handle Jazz in small amounts, but I would never buy a Jaco CD, that stuff puts me to sleep.

P.S. Where the **** did Fieldy get involved in this at all, I made no mention of Cap'n Korn.

13. I like the Chili Peppers old stuff a lot more, but the Californication album isn't bad. A lot of times the bass plays good counterpoint to the guitar, and it sounds nice. I really do think Flea is a good bass player, I mean he's used a lot of techniques and formed his own niche in the alternative bass playing realm. A lot of younger kids think Flea is God or something and that's because they haven't experienced different genres of music, and on the flip side, it makes me angry when people who are older put down Flea (not directing this at anyone who posted here) because "a lot of kids like him, and he's not that great!". Well, this was a pointless reply that had no real direction or point, sorry for wasting your time! :D

14. gonzo85

gonzo85

Mar 25, 2001
    Im with the guys that don't give a ****. I don't consider them great musicians, but who cares???

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    well they've sold about 8 billion albums and they've stayed popular for the last 15 or so years so they gotta be doing something right.

16. gonzo85

gonzo85

Mar 25, 2001
    So has Madonna and she sucks!!!

17. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I think John Frusciante is pretty much the greatest guitar player of all times. He is modest when he plays and doesn't do anything that the song doesn't require. And when he does his guitar stuff, he does it well. Just listen to scar tissue!

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    :rolleyes:

Will C.:cool:

19. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    John Frusciante is a very good guitarist, OK he takes a lot from hendrix but he certainly plays every note with feeling. Under the bridge and scar tissue are perhaps the two greatest guitar songs in my opinion. At the end of the day I guess it comes down to taste. U don't have to be a virtuoso!!! Simple does not = crap. Complex does not = good. Complexity does not constitute a good song. IMO.