Rhonda Smith and Jeff Beck - Live at the Hollywood Bowl

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tom Semioli, Dec 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tom Semioli

Tom Semioli

Dec 24, 2017
    New York City
    In a hyphenated word: jaw- dropping! Anchoring Jeff Beck's 50th Anniversary bash, Rhonda Smith is up-in-the-mix on this killer live set which traverses the guitar icon's entire jaw-dropping career beginning with the Yardbirds and including Loud Hailer (2016). Plying walking lines, glissandos, double-stops, pocket grooves, and riveting counter-melodies, Smith compliments Beck at every turn, never overplaying nor rendering a note not needed. Jeff's guests, namely Billy Gibbons, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Hall, Jan Hammer, Beth Hart, and Steven Tyler all behave themselves - and serve the song and the host with due reverence. To my ears, this slab represents some of Rhonda's and Jeff's best recorded work. Jeff Beck / Live at the Hollywood Bowl

Attached Files:

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I bought this for myself for Xmas...will finally get to open it tomorrow.
    ;)

Tom Semioli likes this.
  3. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I enjoyed Rhonda's playing with Jeff on this DVD...the finest I've heard from her. She was not using her usual Mesa Cabs. D0es anyone who has seen this DVD know what type of cabs these are??
    Thanks, DAcat

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Who's the drummer for this set?

5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jonathan Joseph.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Wow, a name I have never even heard of before. But to be able to fill the shoes of Vinnie Coliuta and Narada Michael Walden (and Simon Phillips, and Terry Bozzio, and all the other amazing drummers who have backed Jeff Beck) is no small feat, so he must be some pretty hot stuff! Looking forward to checking him -- and this whole DVD -- out.

7. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    He's been with Beck for awhile used to play with Joss Stone. I seemed to remember him being Stone's stepfather.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW, I like the Ronnie Scott DVD better...a lot better. Smaller venue, etc.
    "Scatterbrain" is insane!
    Nice Tal solo on "Cause We Ended As Lovers".
    Vinnie is a freight train.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    On a tangent-
    I would recommend watching Rhonda S. with Prince...Live At The Alladin, Las Vegas.
    Killer band with Prince.

10. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    From another forum where I also asked this question... according to TB member garp, Rhonda was using custom built Paul Reed Smith Cabs with 2x12's. While it appears that they definately are Paul Reed Smith cabs, but from the cabinet design and styling , the cabs look exactly like the PRS Stealth 410 guitar cab...perhaps these cabs had 4-10 inch bass drivers instead. She is using three identical cabs stacked behind her about 6.5 feet high in the Jeff Beck Live At The Hollywood Bowl DVD. I have not been able to find out from PRS Website any confirmation of what kind of speakers she was using.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  11. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I forgot to mention that
    I'll be upfront and center this Saturday night in St. Louis for the latest Jeff Beck Tour...I think I'll have seen him 18 times since his 1968 Jeff Beck Truth Group and he still astounds me every time.... I just get so blissed out by so many things he does and plays... I'm crying half the time, and the rest of the time blown away or mesmerized.

jerry likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021