Rhonda Smiths Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Dec 27, 2005.

1. alright...on the prince live at the alladdin dvd..what type of jazz is she using?...is it a geddy with black pickguard, 07's re-issue? a proper 70's? custom shop?...anyone have any clue?
  2. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

This one?

'Looks' like a GL with a black pickguard, but it's supposedly a Fender Japan '75 Jazz reissue.

And in her '04 Bass Player interview, she was touted as '...using three Fender American Deluxe Jazz Basses on the current Prince tour.
    Her main bass is a sunburst Jazz, with teal and metallic white instruments in reserve—all with rosewood necks and active electronics.'
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Price is an a die hard fan of mid 70's jazz basses, That bass she has on that video may be a 74 or 75 jazz. Btw I own that video and she is thumpin and poppin like all get out! She gets excellent tone from that jazz![​IMG]
  4. thats the one........looks nothing like a g&l :p ..definately aint am dlx's..i was thinking it was a re-issue...but then prince, he's probably got a museum full of basses from that era
  5. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    It's a 75 reisuue, she talked baout trying both that bass and an am. deluxe with prince. She decided that the reisuue suited Prince's music better, and of course the man is a fan of the 70's j basses to begin with.
    You can see Justin Meldal Johnsen with a similar model on the cover of an older bassplayer mag.
  6. kewl i had suspicions it was a RI.....great dvd..love the zeppelin cover too...family name(?) is probably my fav off the dvd
  7. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    More importantly, where can I get this video ;) seriously though, is this something that's available only online? I've not heard of it. . . thanks in advance!
  8. JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    yea, she has the same bass as me :bag:
  9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's not a GL, it's got a bullet truss rod adjuster. More evidence it's a '75 or reissue of same.
  10. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Call me dumb, but it looks like a Geddy Lee Jazzer with a new pickguard... :bag:
  11. thats what i thought...then i saw no badass

its definately not a gl....well i think the fender headstock and logo give it away :p
  12. Just FYI to clear some stuff up:

When people say GL on talkbass, they mean "Geddy Lee", not G&L. The GL is talked about enough on the forums to warrant its own abbreviation.
  13. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah good call.

To re-iterate:
    G&L = The brand made by Leo Fender.
    GL = Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
  14. well what can i say...im a simpleton...i see GL, i think G&L
  15. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    ::raises hand:: i did the same thing :bag:
  16. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    It's a '75 MIA RI.
    I've seen Rhonda using her American Deluxe Jazz too (the honeyburst one). In her Am.Dlx. Jazz Basses, she uses the stock preamp. Her Zone Bass has an Aguilar OBP-1.
    I've contacted her via email some time ago with some questions and she gave me this information...
  17. i wonder if theres any footage out there when she was using laklands with prince?.....i knew about the am dlx's..just the live at the alladdin dvd is the only time ive seen her use the 75.....her mtd 6er sounds real nice when she was playing in the house band of the martin short show
  18. Didn't know they made the 75' RI's in black. Thought it was a GL at first with a new pickguard as well.
  19. i think you can get it in white and sunburst too...as well as with a rosewood board with white blocks
  20. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Some time ago, the '75 RI was available in different colors with either a maple or rosewood neck. Now Fender downsized the options to natural with a maple neck IIRC.