Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rhythm and Blues vs Rock and Roll

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kiwlm, Nov 11, 2004.

1. What's the difference "musically" between the two?

I was reading this
    http://www.binkie.net/wrdisc/Mr. Gone.html
    when jaco said:
    ...because if there's a heavy feel, it's r&b, not rock. There's a difference between rhythm and blues and rock 'n' roll. I grew up playing nothing but colored music all my life and that's it.

So far, I would say that for RnB, the chord changes are not as rapid as Rock and Roll.

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Rock N Roll has a country influence. It was also co-opted by white culture in the USA, while RnB remained pretty closely tied with the african-american community.

There are similarities, without a doubt, at least between early versions of each genres. RnB retained the groove, while Rock became more straightforward.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    R&B retains much of the influence of gospel and the spirituals that were at the core of African-American cultural life before the emergence of rock & roll in the early 1950s. Rock & roll is a hybrid form that took basic structural forms from traditional/country blues and added the electric sounds of Chicago blues (with a heapin' helping of rockabilly along the way). Another difference is in the intended audience. Rock & roll is what happens when well-fed, middle-class white kids get interested in the music of the ill-fed. ill-treated, and marginalized.