Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rhythm block!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by iplaybass, May 21, 2003.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I found I've fallen into a rut when adding fills and embellishments. They always fall into the same couple of rhythmic patterns, and its really been bothering me lately. Any ideas for expanding my rhythmic palette?

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    practice with a metronone to different tempos and time signatures, that can help.

I think its also very important to listen to a very broad spectrum of music. This opens you up to a whole new set of ideas and helps aid in making you a more versatile bassist. The more you listen to the better you will become.

I also think its important to just saturate yourself in the new types of music you listen to. This does two things IMO/IME. It first lets the music grow on you because you'll weed through the songs you dont like in certain genres and find a plethora of good ones that you will. Secondly, it helps you develop an emotional connection to the music, which IMO is crucial to being able to lay it down with the right feel.

In short, listen to it [/b]all[/b]