Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Rhythm Changes" Fingering

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Bassist4Life, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,

Could you suggest a fingering for your "Rhythm Changes" arrangement on page 52 of your book?

Do you use the 1st or 2nd finger to play the F# in measure 25?

I am also curious about your fingering for measures 49 and 51 on the walking pitches. It is not difficult to play the passage; however, it is tricky to make it sound smooth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

I play the F# in Measure 25 with my middle finger and then move it up the fret to get the G on beat 3.

In measure 49 I play the B with my index finer, the C with my middle finger, the C# with my middle finger (sliding up) and the D with my middle finger, continuing the move upwards.

M51 is not quite as elegant. I get the C with my first finger, the B with my first finger (sliding down) and the A with my ringer finger

Mike

BTW, if you know of any cool venues for a solo bass show out your way, let me know. I could possibly do a show and find a local shop to host an in-store master class

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,
    Thank you for your fingering suggestions. I will send you an email with possible venues for master classes and solo bass performances. I'm working on a list right now, but I want to be sure all of the information is accurate and complete before I give it to you.

Thanks,
    Joe