"Rhythm Changes" Fingering

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Bassist4Life, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,

Could you suggest a fingering for your "Rhythm Changes" arrangement on page 52 of your book?

Do you use the 1st or 2nd finger to play the F# in measure 25?

I am also curious about your fingering for measures 49 and 51 on the walking pitches. It is not difficult to play the passage; however, it is tricky to make it sound smooth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

I play the F# in Measure 25 with my middle finger and then move it up the fret to get the G on beat 3.

In measure 49 I play the B with my index finer, the C with my middle finger, the C# with my middle finger (sliding up) and the D with my middle finger, continuing the move upwards.

M51 is not quite as elegant. I get the C with my first finger, the B with my first finger (sliding down) and the A with my ringer finger

Mike

BTW, if you know of any cool venues for a solo bass show out your way, let me know. I could possibly do a show and find a local shop to host an in-store master class

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,
    Thank you for your fingering suggestions. I will send you an email with possible venues for master classes and solo bass performances. I'm working on a list right now, but I want to be sure all of the information is accurate and complete before I give it to you.

Thanks,
    Joe