1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rhythm Guitarists

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Sykk Reaper, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Sykk Reaper

Sykk Reaper

Nov 17, 2011
    DeBary, FL
    I like what they do and i guess it sounds decent but I think they kind of take anyway part of my presence and role in the band. does anyone else think this?

2. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    yes they take some freedom and attention away from you. If used intelligently they can almost always add to the music. If dubbing the first guitar or constantly playing boring chords with the same rhythms they are god-aweful.

3. Sykk Reaper

Sykk Reaper

Nov 17, 2011
    DeBary, FL
    Agreed

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    They make my job easy ... I just look at their fretboard to see what chords they are playing and I fill in the low end.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

At times, playing guitar is both musical and percussive. There are a few great guitarists who understand this and their efforts rarely walk on the other instruments. It takes good ears and attention to tone, as well as letting others in the band have their moments.

6. Well, it depends on the player. Tom Petty and John Lennon were/are fantastic rhythm players, not forgetting the totally amazing Bruce Welch. He made rhythm guitar an art form.

7. BoomingBass

BoomingBass

Apr 11, 2010
    As the only real composer in my band, I find that the rhythm guitar part, if written correctly, can add SO much to the music. It's also a very versatile part. It can support the lead guitar, fill sonic space during a solo, accent a bass line, or change the entire atmosphere of the tune by accenting notes in a chord or adding dissonance.

8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I like the tactful ones:
    Malcolm Young, Andy Summers, Izzy Stradlin, Eddie Cochran.

My girl says she loves rhythm guitarists, that they're that best. They play the song. I thought she said bassists were the best & that we hold down the song.

9. I love playing with a good rhythm player. It adds to the basic foundation of the music and helps the drummer and bass player lay down a great groove. Listen to The Stones, where Keith's rhythm guitar propels the songs. A strummer is not really a rhythm player.

10. Clearly you've never seen a high school kid play at an open mic night.

11. Sykk Reaper

Sykk Reaper

Nov 17, 2011
    DeBary, FL
    Of course a good rhythm guitarist is good, but i think a bass player has his part in the song and a rhythm guitarist has his. A lot of rhythm guitarist just play like the bassist but with chords, those are the kind I don't like.

12. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    All the instruments in a band need to complement & support one another. I think most of the "problems" with rhythm/2nd guitar players are due to bad players. You could get a similar effect with a bad keyboard player, a bad drummer, or a bad lead/1st guitar player. A good one can add depth & texture.

13. While that is true, IME not all guitarists do ;)

14. Obviously she is only with you to meet other musicians ;)
    (KIDDING!!!)

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I agree. For me it depends on the player and the type of music. I like having a good rhythm player in almost any type of music except for metal.

There is just too much sonic space taken up by 2 blaring guitars, especially since I can easily fill in what the rhythm guy would be doing anyways...and make it sound more interesting. I like have lead harmonies and stuff like that, but most of the guitarists I have played with just don't understand how to make everything work well together, so I'd rather not have it.

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Wow, this sounds sooo immature .
    Unbelievable.
    :scowl:

1) who is "they"?
    2) How do you define your role in the band?
    3) How do you define that of the rhythm guitarist?
    4) Have you worked with any good ones?

17. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    I will agree with this.............+1

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Love a good rhythm player! The good ones are few and far between though.

19. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Loves me some rhythm guitar. It's how I started in playing music. Miss it loads, but loving bass now. R. guitar adds tons to a typical rock band setup IMO. It can straddle the line between the other instruments in the band. It can be percussive, melodic, even leads. I love chord/rhythm leads like the guitar solo on Peggy Sue por ejemplo.

20. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    +1
    Any really 'good' guitarist should be able to do this, but it takes a fair bit more work to arrange.
    I know one guy who does this well, but lets others get to him because he's not much of a lead player.
    A shame, because he contributes more to the music than any lead line.

When it does happen, it is beautiful.