rhythm, i suck at it, help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by XDamianX, Nov 6, 2002.

1. XDamianX

Sep 11, 2002
    can someone help me with rhythms, i really suck at them.
  2. XDamianX

Sep 11, 2002
    thanx, any other suggestions from anyone else is appreicated
  3. my copy of standing in teh shadows of motown just arrived teh other day (tho i had to give it to my bass teacher cos i have exams next week and need to study) but it seems like the worlds best lesson on rythym
  4. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA

Josh already said it. I'm saying it again.

Another thing to do instead of playing with a metronome all the time is to play along with CD's that you like. Learn the basslines and keep up with <insert your favorite band here>.

There is no magic fix for getting better at something you are deficient at musically. You are going to need to spend time in the shed marked "wood" out back in order to get better. Plain and simple.
  5. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Here is what I do to practice rhythm (besides what I learn at lessons):

I work out of the "Note Reading Studies For Bass" book. They have etudes and advanced reading studies in there that give you a specific tempo for your metronome. So what I do is learn the tricky rhythms in there first (by the way, the book shows you the different rhythms with easy exercises then works its way to advanced) then start slowly on the etudes and work up until I can play them at the given tempo.

I also have this guitar book, "Guitar Chords and Accompaniment" that teaches different rhythms. So I get out my metronome and practice the exercises out of that. Basically any book with rhythms I'll practice out of.

I am also sure ppl are going to say to pracatice with a drummer as well.

Hope this helps :)
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    1st off, IMO and IME, you should listen to music that is heavily saturated with rhythm. This will help you to hear various types of rhythms and upon listening to it frequently you will develop an emotional connection with it. And once you develop that connection it'll begin to automatically come out of you. Ya cant quite play something if you're uncertain of how it should sound right?

Play with a drum machine or better yet a real live drummer as well. And as others have said, buy some books about rhythm this will help you alot too. But IMO the best way to learn it is to listen to it. Funk, Reggae, Latin, Jazz, etc.
  7. Start off wiht the basics:
    1) learn to count whole notes
    2) learn to count half notes
    3) learn to count quarter notes
    4) then go back and mix them up count rythems that have multiple measures that have whole notes half notes and quarter notes in them

5) learn to count dotted half note and then through them into the mix.

6) after that you go beyound the quarter note with 8th note, dotted 8th notes, 16th, dotted 16th, and you also get into ties and slures. There are also different styles such as legoto and stecato or (connected and disconnected) Find a teacher to help you will all of this. There is a lot of information to learn and a teacher can help, if you can't find a teacher then buy a book they can help too. If you can do both find a teacher and buy a book. But with all of that said good luck and remember to take things very slow (learn things slow and they will bring themselves up to tempo)
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    drop the tabs and get a teacher?