Rhythm section

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by God_of_bass, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Right i play in a band in belfast, we are known for electric live performances and not you average covers and are beginning to make a name for oursleves. there is another band close to some of my bandmates, well, there singer said that i, being the bass player "Doesnt know what a rhythm section is for!"
    Right he writes there songs, and everybody thinks hes great, but he has two guitars in his band and a bass player, he writes the bass parts. im in a band with me and 1 guitarist, so i argued with my friends that i dont just have a supporting role, i need to be a voice as well. i dont play all flashy when i dont have to, to be honest that comment hurt me.
    i play with an amazing drummer, we have it pretty tight, i cant see a problem, should i ignore him, head butt him or what? what do you think, is my view on bass playing correct?
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If I had a sample of your band's music I could tell you my opinion.

This type of thing varies from situation to situation.

Different music styles and player styles vary greatly in their structure and in what sounds aprropriate.

However, I dont think that anyone can tell you that what you play is wrong and that what they say is right.

He probably deserves a headbutt though.

3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dude, I wish I had a dime for everytime someone said "Keller sucks".
    The very first night I had a bass(Xmas of '72), I carry it over to a friend's house to 'jam' with his older brother. After attempting to show me what THREE notes to play on "Magic Carpet Ride" for more than a few minutes, he said & I quote-
    "Keller, you're hopeless".
    (BTW, about 4-5 years later, I was showing him how to play the guitar parts to AWB's "Cut The Cake" & "School Boy Crush". Hopeless, my eye!). ;)

Anyway, I would hope you wouldn't take what others say too seriously. Are these music critic pals of yours on par with a Coltrane or a Mingus or an Ellington?
    Confidence in your playing translates over to the audience(those that are actually listening)...don't allow EGO to distort the total picture.

So, try to be true to yourself(Shakespeare, eh?)...
    Music, like art, sports, & entertainment, will always have its share of those who 'can do it better & faster'.

Don't sweat the dumb stuff.