Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rhythm

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by TLB, Oct 10, 2000.

1. TLB

TLB

Oct 10, 2000
    Well I have no rhythm.. odd for a bass player, but I don't consider myself to be one anyway, just a person who expresses themselves through the bass voice. I have been going through a drummer syncopation book adapting to music theory rhythms. Do you have any suggested reading? Exercises? books? Anything?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I hope Ed was not asking if I work with a metronome, because I do not. If your statement should read, "I have no time..." I might say pick up a metrnome or better yet a drum machine. If, however, your really talking about a sense of rhythm that spans a range of styles and techniques, I would encourage you to listen. Listen to everything you can - all styles and genres, different musicians within those styles. It is important that at first you do not try to play along or analyze. Just listen for the pure enjoyment of listening. Let the music, it's melody, rhythms, bass lines, etc become part of you. Then start to analyze. Something you just have to feel and books, not matter how great can only take you so far.

Mike

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I try when all possible to work with real live drummers. If that is not available or the drummers patience is too short I will revert to a drum machine. With most of my work though I utilyze my Boomerang Phrase sampler. I will lay down tracks and play over them. Although I am playing agains another bass part, I have a great deal of freedom to work with melodic, chordal and rhythmic ideas.

Mike