Rhythmic Accuracy

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassari, Jul 7, 2008.

1. bassari

bassari

Jul 7, 2008
    Just picked up the Bass after years with a guitar.

I'm looking to build a decent two finger technique, but find that my rhythmic accuracy is way lower than when I use a pick. Any suggestions?

Also, how does one stop getting a 'buzz' when one lifts ones finger from a fret to play staccato? Is this technique or set-up?
    Thanks

2. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Practice slow. Alternate the index and middle fingers each attack at a tempo like 60bpm with straight quarters and gradually raise the speed. You'll get to a point where you're so fast, your fingers hurt and you get blisters and later they become calluses. :)

The buzz might be a matter of setup, but it's probably lack of accuracy in the left hand. Practice should fix it. :)

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    It's quite hard to totally eliminate that buzz sound when lifting the finger unless you've muted the string first. To fret the notes right behind the frets helps to some extent though.

Anyway, you should perhaps learn staccato plucking without lifting your left hand to mute the notes. It's all right hand technique. Check out the first exercise in the exercise sticky to see what I mean. It helped me play staccato notes also on open strings, which is useful when playing the lowest note on the bass. It also helped me to play faster than before and with a much better accuracy.

Good luck with the bass!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021