Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rhythmic dictation

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by whitenoise, Apr 9, 2003.

1. whitenoise

whitenoise

Jan 11, 2003
    is there a secret to memorizing rythms because im suffering in music at school because we do 8-16 bar rhymic/melodic dictation and im pretty good at recognizing rhythms but i forget what ive heard as soon as ive heard it. does anyone have any tips or advice i would really, really appreciate it.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I know what you mean. I have problems memorizing song names and associating them with the actual tune. For rhythms, I try to find a distinctive pattern and it's variations. I also try to sing back the rhythm before actually writing. You can also develop a sort of shorthand that will help, for example commit to memory a certain pattern and give it a number (you shouldn't have to worry about the easier patterns). for example, take the different 8th, 16th note patterns and give each a number: (E=eighth, S=sixteenth)

ESS = 1
    SES = 2
    SSE = 3
    SSSS = 4

Memorize the sound of each of these and now when you hear them it is simple to shorthand them for transcription later. Take the problematic rhythms and do this. See if it helps

Mike