1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rhythmic Styles

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by hdiddy, Oct 1, 2008.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I almost exclusively play in odd times. If it's 4/4, I'll make it sound like an odd time.

My deal is that 4/4 in metal sounds really really old to me.

There is a style of music out here in New Mexico called "Ranchero." It is basically northern mexican country music. All the bass lines sound like boom-bim boom-bim.

2. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL

Exactly. I was thinking the same thing, but just couldn't articulate it so cleanly. Thanks for the input. :ninja:

3. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    ?

4. Toybassers forever!

5. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Based on moles' question mark and DK's use of an "s" to designate more than one toybasser, I can only assume that my comment is being misconstrued as serious . . . it was sarcastic. I have no idea what the shag chaos is trying to say.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Oh man, I had no idea I was posting in the DB forum!

I played DB back in the day in high school. I once took the thing home on a public bus.

7. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    hehe - I didn't think you were being serious...

8. I didn't know that about you. You're sarcasm was so obvious, I thought you were one of us. :)

9. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I am. :cool:

10. How about Haition Fight Song (Mingus) although at one time every college level bassist would trot it out, but it does qualify though. No offense to the college cats out there!

11. By calling our instrument a " thing " only separates our ties with you guys on that side.
    This saddens me.

12. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Maybe one of those New Mexico Brujos cast a spell and sent you over here:bag:.......in that case that "THING" could be just what the doctor ordered!

13. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah