Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RIAA, they did it.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Sep 8, 2003.

1. RIAA is sueing hundreds of people who share music illegally. Son of biotch .www.netscape.com , on the homepage under top stories.

2. If you thought the war on Iraq was something, just wait 'till this war against downloading gets ugly.

Good luck, RIAA.

:D

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Which p2p programs does the RIAA track down? Just Kazaa and Napster?

4. I hope Kazaa-lite doesn't count...

there is always winmx, btw and sharing files in e-mails and AIM, considering it has been more than long enough to have a substantial amount of mp3's in circulation already as it is.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    WinMX sucks, i use DC++.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    How about having files for your own personnal use and not sharing them, does that count?

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    And then MM spoketh... "Bring it RIAA."

8. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Did you download them? Sharings a two-way system you know ;)

9. where have you guys been? this is OLD news!!! theres been many threads about it already! (hint:

SEARCH

:D

10. Well it is NEWS, as the press has been talking about it all day today 9/8/03. They actually filed a whole bunch of suits in Federal Courts all over the country TODAY. So it is germain.
    They are also offering AMNESTY to those who delete the files and agree to never do it again.
    The press today stated that they went after folks who have over 1,000 tunes available for sharing (glad I'm still in three digits).
    I'll be interested to see how CD burner sales go after this.
    Peace

11. Ok I am now reporting this dufus for a second time. I think I;ll just email Paul so it gets done correctly, banning his IP :)

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    hes baccckkkkkkkkkkkkk

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    chances are, lil bass boy has a few computers in his house, so he is able to re register, but only a finite number of times, because from what I understand forum bannings work off the machines ip not the web ip.

crime doesn't pay, and it is true that paul could take legal actions against this kid if he wanted to.

14. I wonder if anyone is gonna try and countersue RIAA. I would if I were in that situation, if only as a method to get charges dropped.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Right , but if he has an in house network, like myself, all the computers share the same IP. Unless thats the web ip ur refering to.

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

IP spoofs are not hard to come by.

but the thing is, if paul contacted his ISP, and they contacted lil bass boys house, he'd **** a brick, and probably get grounded or something.

17. ok, back on topic. as far as this whole lawsuit thing goes, there are a few steps you can take to safe guard yourself (for now :meh: )

(oooooo i get to use the "list" feature :D )
    1. download kazaa lite, AFAIK all the cases so far have been against kazaa users
    2. no matter what file sharing program you use make sure you turn "sharing" off, since they are going after those who share them, not download.
    3. if all else fails and you DO get a suboena then just move to mexico or something :bag:
      [/list=1]

:bassist:

18. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I missed something, who are we talking about??

19. i think it was the troll attack he's referring to.

20. Yes, all his posts were mass deleted by paul once I PMed him. Great guy indeed he is.