Ribbon VS Condenser Mics

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by kevtexbass, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND

these mikes are around with different names , beeing all made in the same place, i have 2 that i bought in the Frankfurt music fair (directly from the company who makes them) and they sound nice although they need pre amp because the output is not that high. i also bought another smaller one, lolipop model and the output is much better, im going to sell one of mines to finance a new amp, one thing you can do with these mikes is to change the transformer with a quality one, the sound will improve a lot. anyway, you will find this mike cheaper. £200 is way too much for this mike.

Nuno

2. Hi Nuno ... long time no "see"

Do you have any comparison parameters between this one and other ribbon mics?

Actually this is a new model in the GA Project line, with a built-in solid state preamp. There is also a third version with a built-in tube preamp.

http://www.goldenagemusic.se/goldenageproject/uk/index.htm

3. martinc

martinc In Memoriam

Bobby King wrote: "I understand that that was the mic that generally was used on Bob Moore's bass on countless classics."

Bobby: Thats what he used. I asked Bob one time which mic he used for all those great Patsy Cline recordings. He sent me a photo of an early Roy Orbison studio session and there it was sitting in front of his big ol' Italian bass....an RCA 44. He said a double bass needed the mass of a ribbon to reproduce it properly.
    I have the picture on my basement wall for inspiration.:)

4. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i'm a forum n00b but i've done a bit in the studio with uprights. the coles 4038 (ribbon mic), aimed at the G, between the bridge and tailpiece sounds absolutely awesome. like everyone said, watch the other lobe of the figure 8 by putting up baffles or something in front of the bass and mic. one thing that kind of throws a monkeywrench in the works is if there's a lot of slapping - the rockabilly guys want more of that treble. anyway, upright bass is my favorite instrument to record - there are so many subtleties and nuances - the same bass can sound so different based on so many factors. just my two cents on one of my favorite topics . . .

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Hi Martin-

The first ever session I did here in Nashville was in the early seventies at (Owen)Bradley's Barn in Mt. Juliet. Took my '62 P-Bass into the booth where one of Bobby Moore's basses was lying in front of the old RCA. Luckily at that time I was too naive and full of vinegar to know upon who's turf I was treading.

Ike

6. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I'm not REALLY trying to be an A$$, but technically speaking, a ribbon mic IS a "dynamic" mic - basically it's just a "coil" (the ribbon) suspended in a magnetic field . . .

I'm glad that you're having good experiences recording your URB.
    Keep up the good work . . . and keep experimenting, that's the best way to learn engineering, by DOING IT!

7. martinc

martinc In Memoriam

Ike: Great story.
    What a way to start your recording career!

8. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    i did like the condensor sound on those recordings !
    sounds more natural and "roomlike" to me (sorry for my english)

http://www.myspace.com/elephantcircus

theres also SLAP bass in following songs:

Let's Go California
    and God's Grace (please scroll down )

9. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    After a lot of money spent and a lots of mikes that i tried, finally i was lucky enough to find which for me as always the holy grail of studio bass mikes, and i've been even use it live lately with great results.
    1940's Western Electric / Altec 639 - B (Ribbon and Dinamic) , on studio i willonly use the ribbon, live i use both

Nuno

Attached Files:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021