1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ric 4001/3 tonal question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Apr 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    Having never owned a 4000 series bass (i briefly owned a 300 short scale back in the day but that was a different animal) and always admired the distinct tones coming from the likes of Rickenbacker players, Chris Squire & Paul Goddard. These guys often coaxed smooth then clank- back and forth in a single song playing with a plectrum.

Can someone please explain how they did it?

2. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    That makes perfect sense, Scott. : )

3. You can also set your neck pickup for smooth and your bridge pickup for clank then use the pickup selector to move seamlessly between the two (or a blend of both).

SwitchGear likes this.
  4. The Rick is a very versatile bass that you can coax a lot of beautiful tones out of. I can never seem to grasp the rhetoric put forth that they are a one trick pony! It's mindboggling how someone who plays a Pbass, which I also love, says that statement! Just switching from pick to fingers is like having two distinct instruments, let alone pickup switching, two tone and volume controls! Switch from roundwound to flats and go from Squier/Lee to Beatles/Eagles. As far as your question about going from smooth to clank in one song, what I do is use a thumbpick so I can switch effortlessly from on to the other. The problem that arises is when using your fingers you can't use the floating thumb technique for muting if that's an issue. Also a thumbpick can be bit difficult to master and I never seem to be able to play quite as smooth as I would with a flatpick.

SwitchGear and Jools4001 like this.