Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ric 4001/4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blipndub, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Hey y'all,

Is the Rickenbacker 4003 just the new line of Rics compared to the older 70's 4001? Can anyone explain the differences?

Also has anyone got thoughts on the reissues?

Thanks

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they made the 4001's into the '80s. the biggest change between the 4001's and the 4003's was the strength of the truss rod system - the 4001's were not meant to have round wound strings, and the truss rods were not quite string enough to support them. that didn't stop people from stringing them with round wounds, of course, but if you did it would void the warranty from rickenbacker.

other than that, i don't thing there is any difference, although some of the 4003's that i've seen have 2 piece pickguards.

3. So, obviously an important thing to inspect carefully in older rics is the straightness of the neck? Or did they hold up pretty well

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, you're right blip. sometimes they held up great, other times they won't be so good.

the reissues all can handle round wounds, btw.

5. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Just to elaborate on the truss rod system, they actually put in 2 truss rods, which I believe Alembic does, as well.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    4001's always had 2 truss rods, to the best of my knowledge. i know that mine does. so does the bass neck of my ric 4080 doubleneck.

as do all of my conklin 7 and 8 strings. :D

7. RickenbackeR

RickenbackeR

Mar 28, 2000
    The 4001 also had a problem with some frets being dead (no sustain). They fixed this with the 4003, or so i heard.