1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ric 4001 or a new custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drunkkidcon0r, Mar 4, 2008.

1. I own a 76' Rickenbacker. It is a beautiful bass, my high school dream bass. I am now in collage and have a few concerns. First of all, my ric is 10 years older than I am, and I am just starting the early phases of my long term musical career (even though ive been playing for 6 years, i feel like everything before now was just warm up). Although my ric should keep kicking for many more years assuming i take care of it, there is a level of fear experienced every time i get on stage. I dont want to be afraid of damaging my instrument... I like to dance too much for that.

My options are to keep my ric and play it until its death and then buy a new bass

or

Sell my ric and my gibson g-3 and buy a solid bass that will last me years to come and I don't have to worry about breaking. possibly even a custom bass tailored to my likes. (both the ric and the g-3 have characteristics i like and dislike)

If i had the money to hold on to the ric for studio prepossess only and gig with something else, that would be ideal. Unfortunately I am a college student, so this isnt an option. I need a gig bass that can handle the road. and part of me feels my ric should be in the hands of someone who can give it that respect and care, like a collector, to insure this beautiful instrument lasts the test of time.

let me know your opinions! im rather interested it what people here have to say, i know there are a lot of ric lovers and non-lovers on this forum.

2. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Sell the G-3, they can go for close to a $1000 and buy a really nice used Peavy or Lakland Skyline. Used you can get a really nice bass around $1000. No need for a new one since your going to be beating on it anyway.

Keep the Ric as a studio home bass, because I guarantee if you sell it, you're going to regret it down the road. Store it at your parents if you are worried about it.

the longer you hold on the Ric the more it's going to be worth.

3. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Don't sell that Ric, ever. Seriously, you'll regret it. There might be a time when they become very scarce and I can foresee them going out of buisiness or losing their mystique when they'll change ownership (Hall isn't immortal): your bass will be worth mucho dinnero then if you decide to sell. They probably are the only mass produced instrument made nowadays that will gain in value over time, because they are still limited in numbers and highly sought after. I don't think production has increased much, if at all, since the late 70's early 80's.

Also, any bass with good construction is reliable enough to be gigged hard if you take care of it. I've yet to see a really dead instrument: we still see '51 p's that have been touched by more hands than 80 years old Singapore whores and they are still going strong (albeit sometimes looking like said whore).

4. mustang-monk

mustang-monk

Feb 1, 2008
    FACT: Hall feeds on the souls of people that make ric copies (also small children) to gain immortality.

but he does make a fine bass so you shouldnt sell it or wait till the resale value goes even higher if you must.

5. I'd say learn to use spell check and drink less