1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ric 4001 Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Aug 16, 2012.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Did Rickenbacker ever use headstock binding? Details? Anyone? I have what I think to be a 1979, but the serial number from Ric dates it to be a '77 (QB6xx). It is fretless and that looks to be original. Anyone have some comments, I would like to learn much more. Better Pic's to follow..

Attached Files:

2. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Here is a really bad pic that I had my son shoot of the headstock (or at least part of it)

Attached Files:

3. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    The only Rickenbacker that received headstock binding as standard was the recording 4002 model, which your model is not. That's not to say that it wasn't done for special orders for a customer (individual or dealer). Your's appears to have binding, but I can't tell from the photos whether it may be just paint or actual plastic binding. Looks good that way, though!

4. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    It is binding. I am going to have to get better pic's

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Here's a couple of pics of a '78 4001 I once owned:

IMAG0209.

IMAG0211.

6. Wasn't there a thread sometime in the last week with an identical bass to this one and the OP was wondering if it was a real Ric?

I tried to find the thread but after having no luck, I have to write it off as a brain fart and further question my sanity or lack of.

Pretty awesome look anyway.

7. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I've never seen or heard of a 4001 having binding like that, but then again it seems like a legit Ric. Maybe a custom order from way back in the day?

8. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I don't think I know of other 4001s that came like that stock.

In the other thread, people were also saying the layout of the electronics seems slightly odd.

9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    On the Ric site, it says that the 4002 came with headstock binding, but not the 4001. With the fret markers being dots, that made it into the 4001FL catagory. Again the serial number came up as a 1977 but when I bought it, it was sold as a 1979. I just can't find any reference to a Ric 4001 with headstock binding.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Search for Rickenbacker 4002 ... that was the model that had headstock binding.

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    but yet, my 4001Fl has headstock binding

12. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    It Might have been done by the factory,ya never know,more likely an aftermarket customization. Whatever,it is,it really looks great. I owned an 83 4002 for a long time,but there wasn't much contrast with the dark brown walnut finish and the black binding on the headstock. It looked a lot better on the maple one.

13. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    That binding was not installed at the Rickenbacker factory.

14. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well that is possible. I just could not figure out why someone would do that though. I am still looking into more info on this black beauty. I am convinced that it is a real Ric, but there are some things that warrent questions

15. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    Why someone would do it? Again,because it looks great,and it sets it apart from the 10 million other black 4001's out there.....why not do it?

16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Just got a message back from Rickenbacker.. The bass is 100% a Ric, not a copy. But I need to send some better pictures to confirm the headstock binding. Now some of the mystery is solved.

17. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    +1