Ric 4001 truss rods. Something wrong?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TTA, Jun 10, 2021.

1. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    Hi. I just swapped on some new strings to my 4001 (45-100). Is had 40-100 before and the setup was perfect. It was pretty good after, but i wanted to remove some slight neck relief.

I know to losen, then move the neck to the desired spot, then tighten. But the truss rod plate was not sitting well, and there seems to be something assymetric and metal in the e string side truss rod.

Any 4001 vets have insight? Are we looking at a broken e string side truss rod trying to poke out at me? If it is broken the neck sure does play well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  2. You took all string pressure off the neck before you tightened by pulling the neck back correct? I would loosen the strings up completely and pull the rods out and straighten the ends or if you don't want to do that I would at least loosen the nuts and make sure the block is flush against the cavity and then tighten them again. The odd thing I'm seeing is I don't see the threaded end of the truss rod on the E side and the other end of it is poking out, the only way you'll know if the truss rod broke is by loosening the strings then loosening the strings. This is how it should be.

4001 truss rods.jpg

3. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    Yeah loose for adjusting. No idea on the plate position either. I feel like it would happen if someone removed relief and tried to tighten… but things jammed.

I have not touched the neck in 15 years and i only ever had to adjust it once after i bought it. No big snaps or anything funny. But now it looks to me like a broken rod on the e string side trying to poke out. Like you i see no thread, and only a block of metal.

Murphys law tells me i am looking at a broken truss rod shaft below the plate, and the threaded part is jammed in behind the truss rod shaft.

But then the neck is playing fantastic… just a touch more relief than with the lighter strings. I have no experience with broken truss rods, but i would think the neck setup would be pretty garbage if it was broken.

Anyway, i have started with a bit of penetrating oil. I have a feeling that my next question will be about sourcing replacement rods. Too bad… this bass has been a gem to play.

4. That is the other end of the hairpin rod pushing on the block, when you tighten these rods, the other end pushes like that, you need to loosen the strings then loosen the nuts, I don't think there is a broken rod but the fact that I can't see the threaded end is a little weird. 4001's don't like high tension strings, you have to be careful with them. This is how I do it:

I stand the bass on the floor facing away from me, put my right knee behind the body and pull the neck back while I'm tightening them.
    Make sure they are both tightened about the same amount.

1 rod can hold the neck by the way but that is not a good thing.

One thing I see is it looks like you have the G string side a lot tighter than the E side, either that or a piece of the threaded part broke off of that side truss rod.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  5. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    Maybe a better shot of the assumed “peek a boo” broken rod. The e side is rod nut is also chewed up a bit and stuck like crazy.

Attached Files:

6. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    Oh i see what you mean about the metal part pushing up. I see it on the other side, but it is deeper in.

Makes me wonder if the e side snapped at the top also. The plate is angled backwards quite a bit.

7. I would loosen the strings and take both those nuts off and see why the E side threaded portion of it is not visible before I did anything. In fact I would pull them both out, they come out very easily and make sure they are the same length, they should be pretty much identical.

Goatrope likes this.
  8. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    Doing so but the e side is jammed…. G side is fine.

It did not move when i adjusted earlier either, but i figured it was because it was not needed….

9. Are you using a nut driver that fits good? You have to get those out of there and make sure they're not bent and put some graphite on the threaded ends.

10. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    It is 1/4 inch with low profile. But it is not long enough to allow me to fully grip the handle. And it only gets down the nut 2/3rd. The g side was easy.

bobyoung53 likes this.

11. So you never adjusted the E string side?

12. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    If you can remove the nuts on both sides, slide the truss rod out to inspect it. It’s a single rod, bent like a hair pin. It may be bent in such a way that one side is a bit longer. Mine is also asymmetrically bent. Just make sure you put equal tension on both sides when you reinstall. 32B81F18-03B6-4066-8407-BD3A3921538A.jpeg

13. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    No, just snugged the g side slightly. In hindsight the e side was probably just as jammed as it is now.

bobyoung53 likes this.

14. Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, do you have any WD-40? If so I would put a little on it and let it soak, you don't want to break the end of the rod off, they are available from a place in England but I would try to get it off somehow without breaking it.

eddybuzzard likes this.

15. I was wishing I had a picture of them out of a bass. I had a metal worker cut the threaded rod ends off on 4001 and weld some harder threaded steel on one of mine.

Goatrope likes this.
  16. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    I need a t or l style nut driver… or one with a longer shaft. I cant get much force on it.

17. I think your rods are bent down which is why you're having a hard time with the handle.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  18. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    I always start with penetrant and i was somewhat liberal.

I pried up the nut gently as per prior advice, but i am about to push it a little more.

Goatrope and bobyoung53 like this.

19. How long is your nut driver? Mine is about 10 inches long and I can get plenty of force, I think maybe your rods are bent down which is why you're having a hard time with the handle.

20. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I should have taken more pics. It was a few years ago I had them out. Now that I think about it, there are two separate rods, but each has that hair pin shape. To make the ends look the same length at the nut end, I just tapped from the opposite side until they looked even.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021