1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ric 4001 vs Fender Deluxe Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dubadays, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I think it has almost come to decision time for me to get a new bass, but I am stuck inbetween these two. Obviously it will be VERY hard to get a Ric 4001 (I don't really feel safe buying off the internet, other than off a very established site). I mostly play in the vein of Wolfmother, and I'm looking for a bass to reflect this. Obviously, I'm going to play them before I make the decision (if I can't get my hands on a 4001, then I'll try a 4003). But, in your opinions, which is better? The Fender American Deluxe Jazz, or the Ric 4001 (and the 4003).

2. The Ric by far unless you're talking about the MIA Deluxe jazz then it's a tie. :D Two different beasts though. Hard to compare them.

3. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    How does the 4003 rank up against either the Jazz Bass or the 4001 though?

4. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Can't say my opinion is in any way unbiased (I'm a J freak), but I'd go with the Jazz (assuming you're talking about the MIA deluxe). I played one of those not too long ago and it was a life changing experience. That being said, the 2 are DEFINITELY different beasts, so it's very difficult to compare (same applies to comparing the 4003 to the Jazz).

5. In what way? They're very different basses. The 4003 is an improved version of the 4001. The MIA Deluxe jazz is active, the Ric is passive. The jazz has a bolt-on neck, the Ric is neck-through...etc.

6. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I'll assume that means made in America (I mean, why wouldn't it?), in which case, yes.

7. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Just in terms of sound.

8. Completely different. You could have hardly have picked two different sounding basses. The Ric has a sound like no other, and the Fender jazz sounds like an active jazz bass. More of a more modern tone.

9. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    So, I know this term is passed around a lot, but which one has more growl/bite to it?

10. Probably the Ric. People say jazz basses have growl, and they do, but I think the Deluxe with the active pickups is more refined sounding. When I hear a Ric, I think growl and crunch and clank. When I hear a Jazz Deluxe, I think piano like tone.

11. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Well, here's the thing. I play in a Jazz band (We won our category in the Lionel Hampton Jazz Fest a while back, so it's nothing to scoff at!), and currently I play either an SR or an Ergodyne for the pieces that I'm not playing the double bass. So, unless the Jazz Deluxe would be a huge improvement over my Ergodyne and something I absolutely cannot play without, I think I have that area covered, which leaves the rock arena. I'll admit, the Ergodyne plays much better in a Jazz scenario than rock. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm just looking for a bass that can sound great in both departments, or just a bass that would be an incredible rock bass.

12. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. It'll just come down to which one you prefer when you try them out. That's the only way you'll know.