ric 4003/1 -vs- ebmm ray/sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thephilosopher, Dec 16, 2005.

1. thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004
    i'm torn between my love of rickenbackers and sterlings... i think i might be a bit more happy with a rick in the long run, but yeah, discuss.

what kinds of music are both mostly geared towards? do ric's do funk well? will a musicman do prog well? your thoughts.
  2. ...

Ask the question if YOU could do funk or prog well first.

I own both a Ric and a Sterling, both of which are amazing in terms of tonal variety that you could dial up on the fly, but to tell you the truth, if either were put in the hands of anyone who can get down they'd both sound like a million bucks.

Personally, I'd go with the Sterling just because it's slightly more modern in the electronics department and has absolutely superb shielding. Keep in mind though that I'm not trying to take anything away from the Ric. I love my Ric. I'd never get rid of it, but in your situation... yeah.

Try both.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a sterling and prefer it 1000x over a Rick. Ricks cant touch the sterling slaptone, and the sterling neck is way faster and more comfortable. The shielding on EBMMs is a good point as well, it is amazing.

Sterlings can do prog, and anything.

Ricks can do funk ,kinda, depends on the player and what style funk.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Whats your point. Ive listened to that Rick slap clip that was posted and was not impressed.

I stand by my statement that ricks' slap tone leaves something to be desired.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    More difficult to slap. Hows that a good thing?

And all ricks sound the same. since they are the same. So what makes this one better sounding than the others?

Im sorry i must have missed your point.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    To me the fact that all stingrays sound the same = quality control.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just dont see your point. You are complaining that the same basses sound and play the same. Thats GOOD. That tells people that when they buy a stingray, they are GETTING a stingray. It isnt supposed to be a guessing game.
  8. I agree with Figjam...I would rather have a Stingray for a slap/funk machine....

....But for Prog Rock, I prefer the Rick anyday, as it has a slightly unrefined earthy tone that can sound soo beautiful, or it can saw through the mix like nothing else.....

Stingrays are really good at cutting through the mix too, but their highs sound a little unnatural to my ears.....more like a (click), or really high mids, whereas a Rick has much more harmonics in the highs, with a piano-esque ring to them...

4003 Ricks can be a little uncomfortable to play to someone who has never played one, as they feel different than your Fenders or Stingrays, so I'd definately try one before you think of buying it....

I'd say either one is a good choice....
  9. Er... Rickenbackers are awfully comfortable to slap on... as any bass could be, after an adequate setup by your local technician to your PERSONAL specifications that YOU are comfortable with. I agree though, that clip sounds remarkable and I aspire to play at that level some time. A lot of people tend to go nuts though and pidgeonhole the Ric as to not having a "slap" tone which is complete rubbish. It's in your hands, as is any other imaginable tone.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ^ or setup by yourself. I think everyone should take the time to learn. Its not that hard.
  11. Do you mean the string spacing?

That's strange. Out of all of the instruments I've owned, and currently own, I really find it comfortable for everything after I had the truss rods adjusted and the action slightly lowered.

Different strokes for different folks.
  12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Two very good, but very different basses.

More than most other basses, Rics are a love 'em or hate 'em kind of bass -- they produce a visceral reaction in many players (either positive or negative), and only YOU can decide which side of the fence you fall on. It can take a little fiddling to get a great tone out of them, but it's worth it, to many people. I've noticed that on this site, Rics evoke some of the strongest opinions -- both good and bad.

'rays and Sterlings, OTOH, seem to please most people -- it's easy to get a good tone out of them.

They're both well-made, and both have a distinctive sound and feel.

Bottom line is: The cliche is quite true here: buy the one that "speaks" to you, and play before you buy.

Personally, I have a Ric, and love its "hide the children" growly tone. No other bass I've ever heard can produce that sound, and it cuts through like nothing else. Listen to Geddy Lee get that sound on "Freewill" on the live album "Exit Stage Left" -- it's wicked. However, I'd love to have a 'ray, too. It's about the ultimate slap machine, and gets a terrific tone, as well.
  13. I have a Stingray5 (kinda Sterling like because of the switch) and i have a Ric4001 '77. Im not really a kind of funk guy and i prefer the Ric over the Stingray any day.
    And thats because a Ric with a little overdrive has much more influence on the whole sound of my band than a Stingray5. When you hear the Ric, you know it is a Ric.
    Im not looking for a versatile bass, I just would like one dream sound and thats the Ric sound for me.
    Good luck with your decision.
  14. Ric=apples and SR\sterling=oranges..how'bout sr\streling=oranges-G&L l1500\2500=tangerines :) why do these comparisons keep coming up between Rics and Leo Fender designed instruments :rollno:..you cannot compare a Ric to any other instrument...and as far as the slap funk thing goes,the MODERN slap tone is all EBMM,but back in the day when the technique invented it was done on a Pbass or a Jbass..for what it's worth,I like the MM basses but,I LOVE Rics,but YOU will have to decide which is right for YOU. sorry about the rant,please continue. :)
  15. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Im kinda glad that not everyone likes the Ric. I like to be different, and I am the only bass player that I know (here locally) that has ever had one. I LOVE the unique sound of it, and like hm666, I feel it adds a different vibe to the whole band. Can you imagine "Heart of the Sunrise" (Yes) without that Ric growl? I don't want to...
  16. I'm suprised that so many people like them....I thought for sure the Musicman lovers were going to bash it to kingdom come...
  17. I totally agree with you Denton57.I'm glad that the Ric isn't for everyone too(more for us Ric-o-holics) :bassist: as far as I know,only one other person in my area and me(of course)are Ric players. I don't even want to think about any Classic Yes songs without the Ric..thats just wrong