1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ric 4003 main bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hambone1, Sep 9, 2008.

1. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    Ive read alot about the 4003's lack of verstility. I've also read alot about fans of geddy lee and chris squire using the 4003 to get their sound. But is their anyone who plays a 4003 or has played a 4003 that found it to be "fitting" for say general rock, jazz, maybe or even funk or non geddy lee tones.

How many would have it as their main bass?

2. It's my only bass. I personnaly do not agree that Rics lack versatility. A Ric has a distinctive sound but does that mean a P or J bass has a non-distinctive sound? I don't play jazz or funk but I have seen people slap on Rics.

I know that a lot of people associate certain basses with certain genres but I believe that the use of Rics is only limited by the user's imagination.

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I think if Geddy Lee, Bruce Foxton, and Paul McCartney can all play a Ric, its hardly a one-trick-pony.
    My main basses are Rics but I only play Power Pop so I can't speak personally about using them for different styles.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My 4003 was my main bass for a long long time... over the years I've used it on all kinds of projects: prog, guitar-based power pop, early-mid 90's alternative, instrumental funk. People always seem to think of them as one-trick-pony clank machines, but they're certainly not. Like iamthebassman implied above, Paul McCartney certainly did not sound like Chris Squire!

5. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    I used to play fairly funky bass lines on my Ric. I slapped and popped on it and it did just fine. My writing style has prog-rock elements within it, but I've been adding a healthy dose of alt-rock sensibility to my style, and I've been using some fat-bottomed sounds that I get out of my Ric just fine.

The Ric sound is whatever you can make of it. It doesn't have to have that Beatles-esque or Prog-rock tone if you don't play it that way. The sound is and should be coming from your fingers. It just so happens that Rics are beautiful, well-made instruments that people really like.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I played 15 years in a classic rock cover band with a 4003. I wouldn't be afraid of playing anything at all on a 4003.

7. +1

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I too use a 4003 all the time, for a variety of projects. Notice the only people who claim it's a one trick pony, don't own one?

9. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    My '83 4003 was my main bass for years...my old P basses just work better for what I am doing now.

10. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I've yet to find a bass that didn't work for me in any given situation, especially a Ric. heck, I make my Gibson EB-3 work for all kinds of music. no offense intended, but it makes me think the one trick pony is the player rather than the bass.

11. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I put my Ric through the paces back when I had mine, no trouble at all. The only complaint I had was with their fretless. The glossy neck never felt right to me.

12. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    thanks for the replies. i'm saving up for one and had played the 4003 once before. I was blown away by the sound, feel, look. But began to worry after reading some posts.

13. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    It's in your hands and ears. A good 4003 is as good as any bass out there.Mine isn't my main bass, but could easily be if my motley platoon of vintage/semi vintage P-basses was ever retired :D

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Just remember: The toggle switch is your friend!! I love being able to flip from one or both PUPs at the flick of a finger!!

15. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I don't like it for funk/slap but it will do everything else just fine..in fact they excel at a lot of different applications.

16. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

My '73 4001 was my ONLY bass for over 20 years.

I've been in lots of different gigging bands. Some of those bands played original stuff, some of the bands played covers. Those covers bands ranged from motown and soul biased bands to those favouring pop and rock from every decade. I played it in big bands and in jazz fusion. I also did a year in a country band and I spent 5 or 6 years playing in wild ceilidh bands doing rocked up versions of celtic tunes. I've also done a lot of stuff backing acoustic guitars and piano for sensitive singer/songwriter stuff. Over that time I've also played quite a few sessions in a local studio for songwriters or bands that didn't have a permanent bassist.

Between the neck and bridge pickups, rolling off various amounts of treble on either or both and blending the pups, using the tone controls on my amp and even using flatwounds with the damper on if I'm in a gig that demands it, I have never been stuck getting a suitable fretted bass sound for the job in hand

17. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I love my Ric and haven't had a problem with it fitting what I needed. I used it as my main bass the whole way through my last band.

I found slapping a little tricky at first on it, but once I got the hang of it, I loved the sound it made.

...I also found it was much more comfortable and easy to play once I took the pick up cover off. (Though they look so nice with them on.)

18. I've been playing Rics and Fenders since the early 80's and love both. The two basses I play most right now are my CS '59 P-bass reissue and my Ric 4003 and I use both for classic rock and blues. They both get about equal play time, but the Ric gets a little more.

19. DW1969

DW1969

Feb 24, 2008
    I used a 4003 for 15 years as my main bass for rock and recording. I moved to a Jazz after that and now I'm loving P's. The 4003 is a great bass and I find I still love the tone from the low's, to the treble cranked up and everything in between.